Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Off Abruptly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nonya Business

Nonya Business

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:31 AM

Hello all,
I am having a problem with my computer shutting down on its own. I rescently had the "spywarequake" problem, I followed the removal tutorial from these forums and it was removed. Since then whenever I run a spyware program or my ipod video converter software the computer shuts completely off. the computer must stay "off" for a period of time or it will not start back up. What can I do?
I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition on a brand new computer consisting of: AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 3800+ 2.01 ghz, 2.0 ghz of ram.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:24 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computers.

Is this a computer that you built, or is it a manufactured computer? If it's one that you built, what motherboard are you using, it it is the later, what make and model is it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Nonya Business

Nonya Business
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:30 AM

I did build it, wanted a computer that I could use to watch HDTV on my tv as the monitor, anyway.... A8N-SLI Premium motherboard

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:27 AM

I'd suggest that you run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run box. If it asks for your installation CD, please have it ready. And then, check with Windows Update immediately afterwards to ensure that all your updates have remained in place.

Next, I'd check your Event Viewer (how-to here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html) for errors related to this shutdown.

Then, it's time to check your drivers to see if any of them were corrupted by the spyware. Start with your mobo/chipset drivers, then the video drivers, then any onboard devices, then other "inside the case" devices, then finally any external devices that are plugged in. Since the iPod causes some of these shutdowns you can update it's drivers first if you'd like.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users