Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invincible Files...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:27 PM

Ok, i've tried everything...

I got some pics from my friend in an email the other day, and i guess they're something pretty nasty (to computers...). I can't view the pics (which might be a good thing), but i also can't delete them or do anything with them.

I've tried:
  • Right Clicking, but there is no "Delete" option
  • Dragging into the recycle bin
  • Deleting the folder they're in
  • Booting in safe mode and deleting
  • Deleting from my linux partition
  • Running killbox to kill the files, but they can't be chosen
  • Using killbox to delete the folder, but says "These files cannot be deleted"
I was surprised that even KILLBOX couldn't get rid of these things. They're each about 1.2 mb's, and you can't even see anything in the files. I try to open them, and it says "Cannot generate preview".

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to include this, but when i Right-Click on the files, the only options i get are Preview, Edit, Print, Open With..., and Send To, if that helps any.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 07 May 2006 - 11:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:11 AM

Have you run your anti virus, spyware,...?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:31 AM

Are they still embedded in the email? If so, delete the email itself. Then search to ensure they aren't on your system anywhere.

Another option would be to open the file for editing - then edit it down to a blank screen (with maybe 1 black dot) and save it over the existing picture (if possible).

Another option is to use a Live Linux CD to delete the file.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:36 AM

Hello, When you click on these file attachments what is the three digit file extension on the files? If it starts with the letter "Z" then it is the Zonelarm settings for email attachments. Other than that you might want to check out the options for your email for attachments they might be set to not accept attachments. Since there are so many different email programs is is not easy to say where these are since they are all different.

Once you get the options for the email attachments set correctly this should release the attachments for you to delete.

One other suggestion is to ask your friend to archive the files into a ZIP format before sending - some ISP's have Spam and other filters on their servers that can affect different file formats like JPG etc and the ISP's will not change the settings just for one person.

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:26 AM

Ok, some updates (well, sorta....... nothing new happened):

Ran all my spyware/adware programs, and it caught nothing. I ran my anti-virus right before checking the files, then right after, and it didn't recognize anything. All these programs are up to date and have the latest definitions.

I deleted the e-mail right after i downloaded the images and have already emptied the trash folder. I'm stuck w/ the pics on my harddrive.

I've had no problem with e-mail attachments before (I use thunderbird), and have gotten pics from friends/family w/ no problems in the past. I don't think it has anything to do w/ the attachment settings.

I tried to use the EDIT option in the right click to open and change the file, but it won't open. I also tried the Open With option to open it w/ notepad. But when notepad opens, it brings up the menu to choose a file to edit, but does not recognize any of the files that are giving me problems.

The files are labelled at standard JPEG files (at least, from what i can tell, i can't view the properties). In the status bar, when highlighted, they show up as Type: JPEG Image Size: 1.2 mb.

I don't have a linux live cd right now, but i can always download one soon. I'll try that out to see if it works. I have a linux partition, but the way things are set up, i don't have permissions to write to/edit anything on the windows partition. However, i CAN VIEW the files from the linux partition, but i can't see the pics from my windows partition (they're supposed to be some "funny" pictures, but they aren't humorous..)

Thanx for all the suggestions, but so far nothing has worked.....

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 08 May 2006 - 10:43 AM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:58 AM

Here's a couple of programs, that quietman7 recommends:
Unlocker
Delete Doctor

See if one of these will work.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:06 AM

Another option might be to erase the files with either Eraser or the erasing tool provided with Spybot. Often, a file that cannot be deleted can be erased.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 01:03 PM

Also, can you rename the files? In Windows Explorer, go to Tools/Folder Options and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types," then see if you can rename the extension on the file by typing a new name and extension. If it actually has a jpeg extension (.jpg), change it to something like ".txt" and see if it will open in notepad. But I'd check to make sure it was not indeed something from Zone Alarm. You don't get the Properties choice when right-clicking? There's always a chance that the files are just corrupted. Since you say you got them from a "friend," could you check with the friend and see if he actually sent them? They might be malware that sent themselves!

#9 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

Thanx tg1911, the Delete Doctor did the trick. I couldn't delete the individual files, but i deleted the folder they were in, and can no longer find any traces of the problem files.

#10 U R Insan3

U R Insan3

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:30 PM

Creat a blank .txt file and save it as the same file name that the pictures are. Then Change the .txt to whatever the extension is on the picture. Then move the new file into where the pictures are, when it asks if you want to overwrite click accept. Try that.

-TJ
-TJB

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:20 PM

You're welcome Heretic Monkey.
Just passing on the information. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users