Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning of MoBo sticky and stinky `stuff`off.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 freelyone

freelyone

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:25 AM

can you tell me a safe cleaning spray foam or liquid to use on all of the mobo and leave it evaporated or clean of sticky and smelly dust grime ? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

Any electronic cleaner should work, I would recommend finding one that is non conductive, just in case, though, and depending how much you want to spend you can find ones that are CFC and HFC free so its not even bad for the enviornment.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

What is sticky and stinky "stuff"?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 freelyone

freelyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

oh, I think its a combo of outside dust (a black stringy stuff) and tobacco stuff from a heavy smoker, sticky and when operational warm, stinky. I`ve done some reading about cleaning but most use soapy suds and I`m looking for a better medium that wont leave rust or residue....alcohol based.. something or other will also leave residue, what can I use

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2014 - 05:47 PM.
Removed subscript - Hamluis.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

You are looking at removing the motherboard, the processor, and completely cleaning the board with a small paint brush with isopropyl alcohol.  This will have to be done several times to remove the residue of the tobacco.  Nasty stuff to clean.  You can even take the alcohol and pour it over the motherboard at the end to rinse it, but you had better plan on letting is sit for a couple of days till it is dry.  You will have to clean the thermal paste from the CPU and heat sink and reapply it before putting this back together.

At one time I worked for a major manufacturer in their PCB room, I've used this technique to remove solder flux residue, it works.

Edited by dc3, 06 January 2014 - 07:51 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users