Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nigerian Scammers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:49 PM

Hi Anyone With The Same Problem,

I seem to be a regular for the Nigerian scammers to try to contact to take advantage of. I keep getting IMed by them presenting themselves as beautiful woman from the UK or Nigeria itself. Only I know that they are men with hairy legs trying to make a take - me and I don't appreciate it.

I don't mind meeting people through IM and in most cases it isn't hard to tell when it's a scammer. Usually their is no profile or hardly one to a modal of a woman's picture. I'm starting to just push the "Report as Spam" tab every time I'm approached by such an IMer.

However, for the sake of vanity if there is an outside chance they are legit I was wondering if anyone knows of a program or search service that would match the picture of the IMer to a "Image" search on the Internet to see if I can find out if they just pulled the picture off of the Internet or not, without having to go through 110,000 photos individually on an Image search? You know a match made in "I want to be sure haven" within a reasonable amount of time before I go and waste my time on another crime lord woman with hairy legs thing. Does anyone know of such a matching program or matching search service? Something that I can use you know. Thanks.

John :thumbsup:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

Hi John.
There is no facial recognition search technology available on the internet.
There are ways to find out if people are who they say they are but that's not one of them.
99.9% of anything from Nigeria is a scam designed to clean your bank accounts in one way or the other.

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

Nigeria seems to be one of the hot spots for scammers. Take a look at the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) Fraud emails and scams can be found here. You can also file a complaint.

Good luck,

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for the responses HitSquad and rigel,

That's to bad that there isn't a facial recognition program out there but HitSquad you did mention that there are other ways to find out who might be IMing you, what might those be? Thanks.

John
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

#5 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:43 AM

99.9% of anything from Nigeria is a scam designed to clean your bank accounts in one way or the other.

Most def agreed!!

Nigeria is statistically the most corrupt country in the world behind guess who...

Columbia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users