Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Puper Trojan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mmscort

mmscort

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:32 PM

I run McAfee Virus Scan that identifies the Puper file. I am updated and the program does not allow me to delete the file. It instructs me to restart the computer to complete the clean process. I do and when I scan again I still find it and get pop-ups that are inappropriate for children. Can you help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:06 PM

Hey Mmscort,
I know about htis program and I have deleted this of my friends computer once. Heres what I did:
Download SmitfraudFix from http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php
Then Extract the folder called SmitfraudFix to your desktop. Reboot your computer and run it in safe mode by pressing the key "F8" continously after rebooting the computer. when you are in safe mode, open the folder SmitfraudFix and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd. Select option 2-Clean by typing 2 and press enter to delete the infected files. It will ask if you want to if you want to clean the registry. Say yes by typing Y then pressing enter. This should delete the background if its infected and it should also clean the registry keys if infected.
Please post if this has any effect on your computer and if it gets rid of it.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:20 AM

Before running SmitfraudFix do this.

Please download and install Ewido Anti-Malware v3.5. DO NOT perform a scan yet..
Print out the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

Then follow the directions for running smitfraudfix. Tutorial here if you need it.

After using the tool reboot again in "SAFE MODE" and

Clean out your Temporary Internet files as follows:
  • Quit Internet Explorer and quit any instances of Windows Explorer.
  • Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
  • On the General tab, click Delete Files under Temporary Internet Files.
  • In the Delete Files dialog box, tick the Delete all offline content check box , and then click OK.
  • On the General tab, click Delete Cookies under Temporary Internet Files, and then click OK.
  • Click on the Programs tab then click the Reset Web Settings button. Click Apply then OK.
  • Click OK.
Next Click Start, click Control Panel and then double-click Display. Click on the Desktop tab, then click the Customize Desktop button. Click on the Web tab. Under Web Pages you should see a checked entry called Security info or something similar. If it is there, select that entry and click the Delete button. Click Ok then Apply and Ok.

Empty the Recycle Bin by right-clicking the Recycle Bin icon on your Desktop, and then clicking Empty Recycle Bin.

Then perform a scan with Ewido and reboot back to normal mode.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 mmscort

mmscort
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:57 PM

:thumbsup: Thank you both for your assistance. I used smitfraud, cleaned all the temporary files and cookies, emptied the recycle bin and loaded the antimalware. I appreciate the assistance now my children can use the computer again!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 09 May 2006 - 04:10 AM

Your welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif