Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC shuts down while playing games

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Malibuz0r

Malibuz0r

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

I THINK it only shuts down when I play games. It hasn't shut down for me if all I do is browse the internet/watch videos/etc..

The games that my PC shut down while playing are (DayZ, CS:GO, and Skyrim. I haven't tried any other games)

--

So I play the game, a few minutes or it could be hours into the game the PC shuts down completely.

When I try to start the PC again:

1. I get no video on my monitor.

2. CPU/PC Fan/Video card fan don't spin at all

--

How I've been fixing this problem:

1. Open the PC  up

2. Remove the CMOS battery for like a minute

3. Remove all the ram sticks

4. Put back the battery and then put the ram sticks 1 by 1

5. PC finally boots up again

So I mean, what the Fu?

Now, I don't know if that is the issue, but it has been working for me to be able to start my pc again.

Here's a screeny of my pc:

24qi7m1.jpg

Also, this only started happening 2 days ago when Skyrim was loading. Before that, nothing was wrong with the PC.

Edited by Malibuz0r, 05 January 2014 - 06:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

Ok, as a way to start troubleshooting, I would say first install HWMonitor, and get your hands on Prime95 and Furmark. Fire up HW Monitor, and keep an eye on your +12V and +5V rails as well as the CPU and GPU temps. Start Prime95, and run it under "maximum heat" settings. Leave it run for at least 30 minutes, preferably an hour. Then exit it and fire up Furmark. Turn on all the options, but keep the resolution low enough that you can watch HW Monitor. Run that for 30 minutes or more. Then, if all checks out - fire up Prime 95 to run while Furmark is running.

During this time, ensure the voltages stay within 8% of the rated value. IE: 12V should be between 11.04V and 12.96V. Technically, 10% is the "acceptable" range. But I have found the outer edges can be unstable.

Also ensure that the CPU temps stay under 60C per core, and the video card stays under 90C. Again, technically they can both go higher, but then you are into the "likely not stable" range.

If everything checks out, then the last hardware check would be a memory test. Get your hands on a CD image with Memtest86 on it. Burn it, reboot into it, and let it rip. Give memtest a good 4 hours or so to test the crap out of your ram. Once it has completed at least 2 full passes, then we can move on.

IF everything above checks out, then likely we are dealing with a software issue.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#3 Malibuz0r

Malibuz0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Hey. I've finished the tests

---

2 days ago I reinstalled Win7 and loaded up all my games again. Played CS:GO for a few hours and the PC didn't shut down.. about an hour later after I finished playing CS:GO, I was browsing a website, the PC just turn itself off completely and it restarted. It didn't used to do that.. it used to just shutdown and it stayed like that. so I don't know what might had caused this.

---

I ran Memtest86 only once which took almost 20 minutes and it said it successfully passed

-

Here's a screenshot of HWMonitor

adjk8l.jpg

Furmark & Prime95 were running at the same time for almost 30 minutes. PC didn't shut down

(The tests were made in the new Win7 install)

Edited by Malibuz0r, 08 January 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#4 Malibuz0r

Malibuz0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

So the PC just shut down and then restarted again.

I was playing DayZ for 30ish minutes or so, I then heard some weird noises on my headphones. This noises only lasted for about 3 seconds. Then the screen turned off("No video") and then the pc shut down and restarted. When the PC booted, I had a "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" message. It says "Problem Event Name: BlueScreen"

Anyone thinks that sounds like a video card problem?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

<<CPU/PC Fan/Video card fan don't spin at all>>

I try not to overlook the obvious...assuming that the system has overheated, it's impossible (IMO) to assess the damage which may have occurred to components.

If it were my system...and a laptop...I'd take it to someone experienced with laptops and hardware issues.

If a desktop...I'd consider that the motherboard may be damaged, but I would remove the heatsink/fan...apply new thermal compound (after removing all old) and see if that helps.

I'd also bear in mind that abrupt shutdowns could also indicate a PSU problem.

Lots of candidates, IMO.

Louis

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:44 AM

Please download the program called "who crashed" click the analyze button at the top left then post the results here.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

Who Crashed is available here: http://www.resplendence.com/downloads about midway down the screen:

Crash Analysis Tools

whocrashed32.jpg

WhoCrashed 5.00
Comprehensible crash dump analysis tool
for Windows 8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2012/2008/2003 (x86 and x64)

Download free home edition
Buy professional edition

BTW you can just click the WhoCrashed 5.00 link in this post to download as well.

Edited by zingo156, 10 January 2014 - 11:46 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your GFX is either not good enough, or is no longer perfoming at the level you need for these games.

I've had this issue happen to me in the past, when I tried to run a specific game. This was on a P3 system so I can't say it's the exact same issue, but very similiar. What I had was a warbling 'beep' sound for about a full second during which the game froze, then the computer cut off. I had to unplug my videocard and reinsert it for the computer to boot again. Same thing happened the next time I played the same game. Soon after I purchased a new card, a Radeon(which was DOA, replaced with a Voodoo) and the problem went away.

#9 Malibuz0r

Malibuz0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

Please download the program called "who crashed" click the analyze button at the top left then post the results here.

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 1/10/2014 9:56:58 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011014-12667-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x9A30DC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8005994010, 0xFFFFF8800F9AA0DC, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 332.21 
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 332.21
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 332.21 , NVIDIA Corporation).

Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Fri 1/10/2014 9:56:58 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F9AA0DC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8005994010, 0xFFFFF8800F9AA0DC, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 332.21 , NVIDIA Corporation).

On Thu 1/9/2014 6:43:40 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\010914-18798-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x9A30DC)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8009389010, 0xFFFFF8800FA300DC, 0xFFFFFFFFC000009A, 0x4)

Conclusion

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 332.21 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your GFX is either not good enough, or is no longer perfoming at the level you need for these games.

I've had this issue happen to me in the past, when I tried to run a specific game. This was on a P3 system so I can't say it's the exact same issue, but very similiar. What I had was a warbling 'beep' sound for about a full second during which the game froze, then the computer cut off. I had to unplug my videocard and reinsert it for the computer to boot again. Same thing happened the next time I played the same game. Soon after I purchased a new card, a Radeon(which was DOA, replaced with a Voodoo) and the problem went away.

Yeah could be. I mean, it was working fine not that long ago, and I've been playing the same games for months too. Also, as soon as my PC shuts down, it restarts. and yes it still makes that "noise" for like a second or two before shutting down.

Edited by Malibuz0r, 10 January 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

In addition to checking your mobo for bad caps, I would also pull the videocard and check it very closely as well.

EDIT: You should also check your driver version, you might need to roll back to a previous version.

Edited by Netghost56, 10 January 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

I would suggest either trying the newest video card driver directly from nvidia or using an older one from the archive. MAKE SURE when you do the install of the nvidia drivers you do the "clean install" option.

The who crashed report points directly to the driver however it is possible that the hardware is causing the driver to crash. It is possible that there is an issue with the motherboard and the pci-e slot, if you have 2 slots you might try to move the card to the other slot to further test your current card. If you try a few drivers and a new pci-e slot and still have problems then I would consider trying a new video card.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

One more thing: if you have any over clocks on either the gpu, ram, or the cpu remove those.

#13 Malibuz0r

Malibuz0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Alright. So I rolled back to a previous driver version and loaded up a game, PC shut down after 10ish minutes playing. I then completely uninstalled the drivers, and then installed the latest ones (332.21) with the option "Clean install", and it still kept on shutting down.

I then got an old PC of mine and used the video card it had (HD 5450) and replaced it with the 550 ti. Played CS:GO (Which kept crashing the PC on the 550 ti) and I was able to play for a while without shutting down.

So I'm guessing the 550 ti is the problem..

#14 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

Hi, based from the HW Monitor screenshot that was posted earlier in the thread, it seems your graphics card is running really hot at absolute full load hence the possibility of the driver crash. My suggestion would be to check if the graphics card itself is clogged with dust in it or the thermal paste could of dried out. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

I agree that it is likely the video card, As Killerx525 mentioned, if they get filled with dust and can not cool themselves they will often crash due to heat. You could try dusting it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users