Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Complete Ad-aware Scan In Step 4

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lefty1

lefty1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:20 PM

After a warning that Norton Anti-virus had found trojans on my pc, attempts to clean or quarantine them failed. Since I have Comcast cable internet I tried switching to McAfee anti-virus but could not get it to load, even with assistance from McAfee customer support - some sort of problem with ActiveX controls.

I then found this site and started working through the "Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log." I am stuck at the first part of step 4 because Ad-Aware SE continues to find the same 10 bad items and apparently cannot remove them. It identifies them as being in Restore\Temp. Here is an example of one of the identified items: A0977315.1. All are in that format: starting with 'A' and ending with '.1' with the numbers in between progressing upward. (When the Ad-Aware scans finish, it identifies the problems by name as: Broadcast PC and BonzaiBuddy.)

Are there other steps I can take to remove these so I can go on clearing up my system? Or should I continue with the instructions, moving on to downloading and running Spybot - S&D even if I can't eliminate these issues first?

I have a NuTrend PC running Windows Me.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:24 AM

Try running the scan in "SAFE MODE". If it completes a successfull scan, reboot and then continue with the remaining steps. If it does not complete the scan, reboot and still continue with the remaining steps.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users