Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help testing/troubleshooting wi-fi connection speed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LargeJohn

LargeJohn

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

I am trying to identify and correct any issues with my setup that would slow down file transfers between computers on my wi-fi network.

I have an Actiontec c1000A router with (2) wireless, and (1) wired network clients.

I routinely copy files from one of the wireless clients to the hard drive on the wired client. However, I have noticed that this file transfer typically starts around 4-5 MBps, but quickly drops to 1 MBps for the duration.

The wireless client, in question, is a Dell Latitude E6400 with Intel WiFi 5300 AGN adapter.

Under Network and Sharing Center, I show the connect speed is 144 Mbps.  Should this value be higher?

Can I expect any faster file transfer with this equipment and setup?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

The speed of your network is the "wire" speed, even wireless but there are 2 big devices that are slower than that in most cases the PCs. Think about it, the information has to come off a HD, get encapsulated, chopped up, sent out on the wire or airways, reassembled, stripped of the encapsulation and then written to the other HD. Even if you rebooted in to safe mode to do it, those PC's can only move info so fast, that is where the bottle necks are more than likely.

144 is about what you should get, real world.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 LargeJohn

LargeJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:43 PM

I have seen others claim to have a 270 -300 Mbps connect speed with this setup.

My bigger concern was the 1 MBps file transfer rate between computers with a 144 Mbps connection.  It doesn't seem that the computers on each end are able to use 10% of the available connection.

#4 LargeJohn

LargeJohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

I decided to try copying a file in the opposite direction between the same computers and the speed jumped to 8 MBps.  I'm going to investigate the hard drive write speed on the wired machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users