Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking To Buy A New Laptop

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 vxdesigns

vxdesigns

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 10:04 PM

Hi folks how is everyone today/tonight, i am good i hope everyone is had a good weekend. I already have a computer but recently i had an urge to get a laptop for various reasons which i will state soon.

I read a few laptop buyers guides and have general idea as to what laptops are and what are their uses and purposes. When searching around i came across only two types or categories or processors of laptops [1]Intel and [2]AMD. Now if we sub-categorize Intel based laptops there is Celeron, Pentium 3,4,M, Centrino, Centrino Duo Mobile. If we sub-categorize Amd we have Sempron, Athlon Xp, Athlon 64, Turion 64 etc. Are these different models of processors which came out at different times ? What's the difference between these ? Which one is better performance and price wise ? Are there any more types of laptop processors or just these ?

That will be it for this time. I will appreciate it if someone can explain to me in as much detail as possible regarding these questions so i have a general idea of what kind of laptop will fit my needs. Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:47 AM

HI vxdesigns.
When it comes to notebooks, I personally don't care wether it's AMD or Intel based.
Notebooks aren't multimedia power houses anyway and both will throttle down to conserve power.
Because laptop repairs are costly, I'm more concerned about warranty, initial cost and Support.
By support, I mean "on-line". IBM (now Lenova) and DELL are the best for self help, right down to service manuals for disassembly.
Toshiba, and especially Sony, are terrible in that department.
The drawback with a DELL is 90 day warranty standard though you can purchase extended warranties for them if you like. You'll get lots of opinions here but the AMD vs. Intel thing is apples and oranges to me.

#3 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:57 AM

Hello, Welcome to BC

I will appreciate it if someone can explain to me in as much detail as possible regarding these questions so i have a general idea of what kind of laptop will fit my needs.

Can you briefly explain the type of applications you will use with your laptop, are you a heavy user of graphics? spreadsheets? video? webdesign?

Brian

Some info on Intel chps
info

Edited by snyper, 08 May 2006 - 09:59 AM.

#4 vxdesigns

vxdesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:06 PM

Thx for the reply i will specify my needs as to what i want this laptop for. My main interest to get a laptop is to watch movies on it, also i want to be able to connect it to my tv and watch movies on my laptop on my tv. I also want to use this laptop for playing latest games, listen to music, run big applications like adobe photoshop,winamp,wmp,frontpage, do a lot of web-designing, also need a latest fast cd/dvd burner which can burn cd/dvd of all types/formats. I want a good high quality/performance laptop to do all above but for the cheapest cost available(as many people offcource) because i am on a tight budget i am looking for something below $1300 Canadian Dollars. If possible i am also looking for an option where i can pay for the laptop slowly on monthly bases without getting charged any interest/extra fees.

I would like to know what part to look for in a laptop which will let me connect my laptop to my tv and stream movies/videos at good speeds. Is it s-video port/jack or vga port/jack or something ?

Here are details of my ideal laptop

1.5 ghz + processor
4-6 usb ports
1-2 firmwire ports
512/1 gb ddr/ddr2 fast ram
80-100 gb fast harddrive
cd/dvd burner for all types of files/formats preferrable DVD±RW
good quality for audio and video
a good graphic card/accelerator for latest games
need wi-fi or latest wireless technology to use internet easily
15-17" good quality monitor/screen preferrable widescreen
be able to connect it to my tv and vise/versa to watch movies/videos etc at good streaming speed and good quality

Budget = $500-$1500 Canadian Dollars
What's in it for you = Great appreciation, warm tingly feeling of helping someone desperately in need, getting to find out whats latest in store/ on web nowadays

Thx for all the help in advance

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:33 PM

i just bought a Toshiba a-100 le-1 laptop. i had been looking and mauling over a bunch of them. this one fit my niche>>1.7 celeron,80ghdd, ati200m video, 512m ddr-2, dual layer dvd burner, ati chipset on the board, 4 usb ports, integrated 802.11g, 15"tft screen. for 903$. they make a good laptop. i have been impressed even with the celeron chip.so i would recommend.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:36 AM

The specs you provide are pretty high, ive been doing som searching, im finding it somwhat difficult to match at that price..

Im not finished yet, im having some tec difficulties with some sites.

Brian

#7 vxdesigns

vxdesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:18 PM

Ok i did alot of research as you nice people advised and came up with my first batch of notebooks i found to be good. Need your help deciding which one is a better buy

Here are my requirements

In a nutshell i will be using my laptop to watch movies,listen to music,planning on playing high graphics/quality previous,current and future games, run appz like photoshop,frontpage, burn dvds and cds at high fast/speed without leeching all of my system ram and cpu usage, want to connect my laptop to my tv to watch movies (with good quality/speed) from my notebook

1.5 ghz + processor
4-6 usb ports
1-2 firmwire ports
512/1 gb ddr/ddr2 fast ram
80-100 gb fast harddrive
cd/dvd burner for all types of files/formats preferrable DVD±RW
good quality for audio and video
a good graphic card/accelerator for latest games
need wi-fi or latest wireless technology to use internet easily
15-17" good quality monitor/screen preferrable widescreen
s-video
vga
dvi(preferred not necessity as long as theres s-video)

Budget = $500-$1500 Canadian Dollars

These are the notebooks/laptops i found to be good

ACER AS5672WLMi
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&Tab=2&NoMapp=0

Gateway MX7515
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...1024&CatId=1904

Gateway 8510GZ
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...p?EdpNo=1697070

Gateway MX6625
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...p?EdpNo=1873384

Please state the reason for your selection. Thx for all the help in advance

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:49 PM

Have you looked at Dell??

#9 Twistshifter2

Twistshifter2

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

if your looking for a good computer get a gateway notebook they have good notebooks, and custom build them the way you want them as well. the tech support is great, but dont get through the tigerdirect... they have there own tech support... if you get a gateway... get it directly from gateway.
i been working for gateway tech support for about 1 year now.. and i have to turn people away. due to the fact its a retail system.
:thumbsup:
What It Do!!

#10 vxdesigns

vxdesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:17 PM

Have you looked at Dell??

I have looked at dell canada but they are a little too pricy without the features i need, can you recommend ay dell laptops ?
"Twistshifter2" do u work for gateway tech support in canada or USA? Can you get me a good deal on a nice laptop ? I know it's stupid to ask but hey it's worth a shot :thumbsup:

Edited by vxdesigns, 11 May 2006 - 08:18 PM.

#11 snyper

snyper

• Banned
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:54 AM

Gateway MX6625
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...p?EdpNo=1873384

That one is defo out....shared video memory of 128...nope

I prefer DELL

i have both a dell and a gateway..granted the dell i have is higher spec..but the support is good with them, (i think)

The acer is the best listed up on your wishist above. Duo processors can handle multithreading better, (using many apps at once)

I was looking at DELL.ca for you but the site was not letting me get a summary of the comp...site under maintainance.....bla bla

Edited by snyper, 12 May 2006 - 02:59 AM.

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 03:11 AM

I myself am partial to the Acer, it has the fastest video card and a nice Core Duo processor. The Gateway MX7515 is also a interesting choice though, and for a better price.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#13 Twistshifter2

Twistshifter2

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:40 AM

Well i work in the usa, for gateway tech support at a large call center.
I can't really do deals, like that due to the fact i am in tech support deptarment.. but sometimes we can give a 5% discount... off the total price which aint to much but it helps a little.
What It Do!!

#14 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:47 AM

Well 5% off of a 1000$ laptop is still 50$ less. You can buy yourself a usb memory card with that... or a printer even...

#15 Twistshifter2

Twistshifter2

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

which os would you like to have, home, pro or media center?
do you need microsoft office, which has word and such
and mcaffe.. cuz i can customize and give you price of a good computer desktop....

cuz right now i got a Gateway DX310X
Price right now is 1200 something... thats before taxes... but has alot of stuff on it..

//Mod edit: Per BC rules of use - Advertisements, of any sort, are not permitted. This includes member names and links to commercial sites in Signatures, or in posts. If you would like to advertise on our site, contact us.
We do not permit the sale of any products via these forums. I have removed all such information from this thread.

Edited by KoanYorel, 12 May 2006 - 09:13 PM.

What It Do!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users