Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Silence and darkness at boot up?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Odyssey42

Odyssey42

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Greetings,

I am trying to finish up an install that I started some months ago. The motherboard is a MSI MS-7641 ver 3.0

When I power up, the fans come on, but no video, no beep.

What to try? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

It would be helpful to have a full parts list, and what you have tried so far.  I'm assuming this is a new build PC?

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

This has no peripherals attached. Just testing to see that it will boot before adding bits.

The CPU (cannot remember what it is, but either an intel i3, or low spec quad core AMD) has a massive cooler attached, which I can take off if the make/model is essential, but would prefer to avoid. There is 8GB RAM (2X 4GB).

Shouldn't the motherboard beep if it works? Would a dead CPU change that if the mobo was OK?

#4 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

Looked it up and CPU is AMD, socket AM3

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Right.  An Intel CPU would not fit in that board (it's a socket AM3+ type) so it must be an AMD CPU.  There are some limitations on what CPU's it supports - http://uk.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-P23--FX-.html#/?div=CPUSupport (no greater than 95w CPU's).  But that should cover most 'low spec' CPU's in the range.  Certain CPU's (some Phenom II X4 and X6 versions for example) are 125w parts and won't work.

The motherboard should beep if it's connected to a speaker in the case.  If no speaker is present or connected then it won't beep.  The integrated graphics should also output video following a successful POST.

Generic fault finding procedure would be to:

1) Ensure that all required PSU connectors are plugged in.  It requires both the 24pin connector and a seperate 4pin power connector for the CPU.

2) Unplug the power and clear the CMOS (usually a jumper or switch) - the manual is available here if you need it - http://uk.msi.com/service/download/manual-17267.html

3) Try to boot with only one stick of RAM in DIMM1.  Ensure the memory is firmly seated in the slot.

4) Try it out of the PC case on a non-conductive surface (the bag the motherboard is supplied in is ideal).  This is to rule out possible issues with the motherboard shorting out on anything in the case.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Very helpful. Will run through these and report back.

#7 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Have done all that, but no joy. 

#8 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

In case it is the onboad video, I installed a Radeon HD5450 in the slot, but still nothing. 

No sound, no video from either connector. Arrrgh!

FWIW, lights do flash on the DVD drive.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Do you have the PC speaker connected to the motherboard header?

Personally I can't think of any other easy checks you can do.  If you've tried one ram stick maybe try the other.  But if that doesn't work I think your only option now is to start substituting parts to find which one is causing the failure.  If that's not practical then either take it to a shop who may be able to help, or RMA it all.  One thing I am curious about is how you aren't sure about the CPU in it.  Did you get this as some sort of package deal or was it bought used?

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 Odyssey42

Odyssey42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

Just realized that I had forgotten to advise my conclusion, which is dead mobo. Have returned it to MSI for their concurrence/replacement. Thanks all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users