Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RKILL

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Whittrl

Whittrl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Can RKILL be run on an external drive?  How?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:59 PM

RKill can be run from anywhere (Desktop, USB drive, etc). Just download and copy it to or save it to the flash drive...then double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.

Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.

Before using, please read this topic: RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Whittrl

Whittrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Thanks!  I had good success running RKILL, but is there a way to use it to clean an external drive?  I ran Malwarebytes on my external drive for backup and it found and removed 3 very troublesome items,so I'e like to be able to run RKILL oni t and then repeat running malware bytes.  Thanks in advance.

Whittrl

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

As I said RKill can be run from anywhere which includes external drives.

BTW, it is best practice to back up your important documents, personal data files, photos, music, videos to a CD or DVD drive, not a flash drive or external hard drive as they are more susceptible to malware infection. If you are going to use an external hard drive, you should back up your personal files separately from programs and applications.

Why? Most programs and applications are executable files which generally utilize the .exe file extension. Any executable file can be infected by malware or if the application is unknown, it could even be malware itself. The safest practice is not to backup any screensavers (*.scr), dynamic link library (*.dll), autorun (*.ini) or script files (.php, .asp, .htm, .html, .xml) files because they may be infected by malware. Avoid backing up compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) that have executables inside them as some types of malware can penetrate compressed files and infect the .exe files within them. Other types of malware may even disguise itself by hiding a file extension or by adding double file extensions and/or space(s) in the file's name to hide the real extension as shown here (click Figure 1 to enlarge) so be sure you look closely at the full file name. If you cannot see the file extension, you may need to reconfigure Windows to show file name extensions.

Again, do not back up the following file extensions with your personal data files: .exe, .scr, .bat, .com, .cmd, .msi, .pif, .ini, .htm, .html, .hta, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,043 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Thanks!  I had good success running RKILL, but is there a way to use it to clean an external drive?

Rkill doesn't really do any cleaning actually, it stops known malicious processes, fixes some policy restrictions and fixes the exe open command if need be. A flash drive doesn't have processes or a registry so rkill won't really affect anything. 

I suggest running ESET online scanner if you want to check for more malware, it's a deep scan but it can take quite a few hours.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#6 Whittrl

Whittrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

quietman7

Thanks for the excellent advice! I'd still like to be able to run RKill [and then malware bytes] on my external drives - if that's possible.

Whittrl

BTW, I'm 87 and in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in :-)

#7 Whittrl

Whittrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

xXToffeeXx

Thanks, I'l try Running "ESET online scanner" tonight.

Whittrl

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:35 PM

Hold down the Shift key on your keyboard when inserting the external drive until Windows detects it.
Copy RKill to the external drive and double-click on it to run.
Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.
Open My Computer, right-click on the external drive and choose 'Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware' from the Context Menu.

#9 Whittrl

Whittrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Quietman 7,

Many thanks, I was able to run RKILL and then malwarebytes on my external drives

Whittrl

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

You're welcome.