Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft .NET Framework updates fail to install

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JasperD

JasperD

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

I've tried to install Microsoft .Net Framework updates for several weeks now, but all but "Update 5 of 7" fail. I know these updates are important to my security, so does anyone have a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

.NET Framework is different from other apps. You may or may not need the different versions if they are required by an app. The problem users have is when you uninstall an app that uses .NET Framework, the app leaves .NET Framework behind. To fix this, open Add/Remove Programs and attempt to remove all versions of .NET Framework. If a version can't be removed, leave it alone. That means you need it. After removing all .NET Framework versions, run the cleanup tool at the link below. That should get rid of the updates. You shouldn't need to reinstall the removed versions of .NET Framework.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

#3 JasperD

JasperD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

frankp316: First of all, I'd like to thank you for replying to my post. I removed several .NET Framework versions (via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel), but when I got to version 3.5 SP1 the uninstall program stalled. So I figured that I wouldn't be able to remove any more versions using this method. So I downloaded and ran the .NET Framework cleanup tool which ran for a while and then suddenly rebooted my computer. I checked Add/Remove Programs and noticed that the cleanup tool had removed more (but not all) of the .NET Framework versions. Then I tried to rerun the updates. This time there were 10 updates --- only 2 of the ten installed successfully.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

You have to remove all the versions that can be removed. It's OK if any of them can't be removed but you need to try and remove all versions of .NET Framework. And I wouldn't try to reinstall any .NET Framework versions. The only goal is to get rid of the .NET Framework updates as I can assure you they will never install.

#5 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:45 AM

Hello JaspedD.

When the Updates fail to install, what actual message and error code do you get?

You now see to have more failed updates than before - are they all related to .Net Framework?

Did you do anything to .Net Framework *BEFORE* the first failure of Windows Update? It is unclear to me from your posts if you tried to remove various version before or after Frank posted the link to the removal tool.

Basically, I am wondering if you have a problem with .Net Framework, or a more general problem with installing Windows Updates, and the updates just happen to be for .Net Framework.

I once tried to troubleshoot an XP install that had a broken 'something' (Windows Update maybe) and managed to remove all .Net Framework version.  I then re-installed them from one by one from Stand-alone packages, but never fixed the problem.

Steve O.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:35 AM

I will answer this because he doesn't know and this .NET Framework nonsense happened to me two years ago. It's a Windows Update bug. The .NET Framework updates are bogus. They come out of nowhere and they will never install. The instructions I gave are how I got rid of those updates. 

#7 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

OK, it's just that I received a bunch of .Net fixes yesterday after nothing for days, and immediately following Activation of XP and issues with Update and they seem genuine.

I just looked at one of them (KB2604121 .Net 4.0)) and it is dated May 8th 2012 - another (for .Net 2.0) dated September 2013.

I am guessing that these are Optional Updates and don't show up on a system that isn't Activated as they haven't come through on another un-Activated image.

Steve O.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

These updates are not portrayed as optional. The problem with them is they won't install and you can't get rid of them unless what I did to get rid of them is followed. They are bogus. Getting rid of all those useless versions of .NET Framework didn't affect my PC. it's a stupid bug and the average users shouldn't have to deal with it.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

If you run into an issue installing, using .NET Framework or applying an .NET Framework hotfix or service pack, please follow the instructions provided by Aaron Stebner in his Blog article What to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help. Aaron works for Microsoft, answers questions at the MSDN forums and writes about .NET Framework issues on his Blog.

1. If repairing the version of .NET Framework that is causing the problem does not work, Aaron recommends using the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool (NetFxRepairTool.exe) which detects and tries to fix some frequently occurring issues with the setup of or with updates to the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 and .NET 3.5 SP1 (includes .NET 3.0 SP2 and .NET 2.0 SP2).

2. If the repair tool does not help, Aaron next advises to go to the Add/Remove or Programs and Features in Control Panel and uninstall the version of the .NET Framework that is causing problems. If uninstall still fails read the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool User's Guide, download the .NET Framework cleanup tool and remove the version of the .NET Framework that is causing problems.

3. If the above steps do not resolve the problem, then uninstall all versions of .NET Framework and before reinstalling, read Aaron Stebner's Blog article Should I re-install the versions of the .NET Framework in a specific order?

Many installation issues with .NET Framework software are often the result of the how the various versions of the software is installed. Although .NET Framework versions can be installed in any order, Aaron recommends to install .NET Framework in reverse order from the most current to the oldest. He advises this because the most current version includes the the latest updates of files shared by all versions so that helps to eliminate some bugs and installation issues.

All .NET Framework versions are available for download separately from Microsoft's download center so you can bypass Windows Update. If a version is not listed, simply type the version name in the the Search box at the top. Aaron also has download links on his Blog for the various .NET Framework versions.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:50 PM

Has Aaron ever addressed what to do about .NET Framework updates that won't install? What is the average user supposed to do about them? Most will think there is something wrong with his or her PC when that's not true.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

You can ask Aaron...he is the expert when it comes to .NET Framework issues. There is an Email Blog Author link on his web site.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 JasperD

JasperD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Thanks so much to all of you, but now I'm not sure if I have a problem or not. In answer to SteveOC's questions:

•  The actual error message was simply, "failed" for 7 of the 10 .NET Framework updates

•  Yes all the updates were .NET Framework related

•  Yes I tried to remove the old versions of .NET Framework using Add/Remove Programs before using the removal tool, however several versions could not be removed in this manner.

•  Originally, I had 7 updates, but after using the removal tool I had 10 updates (3 of which were successful), so now I'm back to 7 (that fail).

I will try the Aaron Stebner steps listed by quietman7 if you all think it will do more good than harm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users