Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloud Backup recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Birdseed

Birdseed

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

We have 3 computers plus an external drive that I'd like to set up cloud backup for and am looking for recommendations. 

The key features that I am interested in are:

-unlimited storage

-mirror image backup

-file sharing/access from either a browser interface or app/ability to push/pull docs

-ability to manage via a console remotely, including on demand full, diff, or incremental modifications

-hopefully, a flat fee that includes multiple devices

-data storage spread out across multiple secure locations rather than one data center

I've looked at carbonite, zipcloud and a few others but am getting overwhelmed.

The primary machine that I'm concerned about is a Mac with about 500 gig in use (terabyte HD).  This has all the family pics, vids, etc on it and our old time capsule tood a dive last week so I would like the mirror backup for this one especially.  This machine will be moving overseas with my husband for the next year, hence my desire to be able to push/pull files remotely.

Our new external drive (seagate, 3T) will also be going overseas and mostly contains movies.

A small laptop will also be accompanying husband overseas.  It's a refurb and aside from doing an initial snapshot, this Windows 7 machine won't need to do much but accommodate skype and internet browsing. I only have 125G HD in it right now. 

The final machine will likely be a 500G laptop and will be my primary computer stateside.  I will want mirrored backup in addition to the standard file backup.

Since 3 of the 4 total devices will be half a world away, having an interface that I can utilize to manage this whole process is important.  We will have a VPN set up so should not have connectivity issues and I'm told the up/down speeds are pretty good from husband's new location.  (he's not there yet, so I haven't tested)  Still, I would like to get everything set up this week before he heads out.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users