Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No AV will run & can't access safe mode

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 RoryFire

RoryFire

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

Been asked to look at Father-in-Laws little desktop - a little HP Compaq 8000 Elite - and I'm a bit stuck so would appreciate some help.  It's running XP Pro SP3.

The initial fault was "no internet access" and this apparently occured while updating his McAfee subscription.  I wasn't aware he even had that - I know the machine originally had AVG Free and last time I looked at it was running MSE

I saw a reference to Adobe in his McAfee licence so I'm guessing it's been bundled with some Adobe product he's downloaded (he into still photography).

I reset IE8 (it had a bunch of toolbars) and internet access is OK now.  However I've tried McAfee, AVG Free and MSE and none will run.

The other thing that concerns me is that I can't access safe mode.  I think (but could be missing something here) there's only one account , Administrator. It has a fairly simple password but doesn't work (and neither does blank) in safe mode.

Help please!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RoryFire

RoryFire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Sorry to reply to my own topic, but I'm concerned there's something dodgy stopping the above computer from working properly. 

I worked throught the steps at http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide#TOC-Preparation-for-Removal but AdwCleaner won't scan - just sits there doing nothing.

#3 RoryFire

RoryFire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:11 AM

Hmmm...well I got Avast Free to install and run - more or less OK.  However it crashed IE8 - apparently a common problem caused by its WebRep plug-in.  Disable that and it's OK.

As far as I can tell the machine is clean, but is still doing some random stuff. 

Mods: Please close this thread and I'll start a new one in the XP sub-forum.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:48 AM

Hmmm...well I got Avast Free to install and run - more or less OK.  However it crashed IE8 - apparently a common problem caused by its WebRep plug-in.  Disable that and it's OK.

As far as I can tell the machine is clean, but is still doing some random stuff. 

Topics generally aren't closed unless they are moved to a higher forum area -

If a simple program like AdwCleaner will not run, there is a problem. That system still needs checking.

First -

Download Screen317 Security Check and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt
* Please post the contents of that document.
Note:: If any security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Next -

Please download Junkware Removal Tool by thisisu and save it to your Desktop.
* Close all open programs and shut down any protection/security software now to avoid potential conflicts.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus
* Double-click on JRT.exe to run the tool.
* Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
* The tool will open and start scanning your system.
* Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
* On completion, a log file named JRT.txt will automatically open and be saved to your Desktop.
* Copy and paste the contents of JRT.txt in your next reply.
This tool will search for and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware to include many related registry entires (values, keys)

Next -

Please post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy << Follow These Directions and only post the link.

Last -

Clear Cache / Temp Files
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
• Please double-click TFC.exe to run it.
• For Vista, Win 7 / 8 right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
• It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
• Click the Start button to begin the process.
• Once it's finished it may reboot your machine.
• If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Thank You -

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

Mods: Please close this thread and I'll start a new one in the XP sub-forum.

Closed per request.

Louis

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

OP has requested topic to be re-opened.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 RoryFire

RoryFire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for reopening.

Screen317 results (the machine is running IE8, by the way!):

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.78  
 Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86   
 Internet Explorer 6 Out of date!
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
avast! Antivirus   
 Antivirus up to date!  
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Java 7 Update 45  
 Java Card Security for HP ProtectTools
 Adobe Flash Player     11.9.900.170  
 Adobe Reader 10.1.8 Adobe Reader out of Date!  
 Mozilla Firefox (Firefox,. Firefox out of Date!  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe  
 AVAST Software Avast AvastUI.exe  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 19% Defragment your hard drive soon! (Do NOT defrag if SSD!)
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#8 RoryFire

RoryFire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

JRT log:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 6.0.9 (01.01.2014:1)
Ran by Administrator on 07/01/2014 at 13:32:12.84

~~~ Services

~~~ Registry Values

Successfully repaired: [Registry Value] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{0633EE93-D776-472f-A0FF-E1416B8B2E3A}\\DisplayName
Successfully repaired: [Registry Value] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{0633EE93-D776-472f-A0FF-E1416B8B2E3A}\\URL

~~~ Registry Keys

Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\protector_dll.protectorbho
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\protector_dll.protectorbho.1
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\conduit
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ilivid
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\smartbar
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\speedypc software
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\surf canyon
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670}
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88}
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\conduit
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\freeze.com
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ilivid
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\searchprotect
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\speedypc software
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\conduit.engine
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\ilivid
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.eb_explorerbar
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.eb_explorerbar.1
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.ipm_printlistitem
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.ipm_printlistitem.1
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.pm_launcher
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.pm_launcher.1
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.pm_printmanager
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.pm_printmanager.1
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.pr_bindstatuscallback
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.pr_bindstatuscallback.1
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.pr_cancelbuttoneventhandler
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.pr_cancelbuttoneventhandler.1
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.tbtoolband
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.tbtoolband.1
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.useroptions
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\toolband.useroptions.1
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Toolbar.CT1142338
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Toolbar.CT2475029
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{9BB47C17-9C68-4BB3-B188-DD9AF0FD2406}
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670}
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{C2D64FF7-0AB8-4263-89C9-EA3B0F8F050C}
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{c2d64ff7-0ab8-4263-89c9-ea3b0f8f050c}
Successfully deleted: [Registry Key] HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{c2d64ff7-0ab8-4263-89c9-ea3b0f8f050c}

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\application data\boost_interprocess"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\application data\speedypc software"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\drivercure"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\searchquband"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\speedypc software"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\appdata\locallow\datamngr"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\conduit"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\conduitengine"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\ilivid player"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\nch_en"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\searchprotect"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Program Files\bearshare applications"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Program Files\conduit"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Program Files\free offers from freeze.com"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Program Files\ilivid"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Program Files\productivity_3.1"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Program Files\speedypc software"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Program Files\televisionfanaticei"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\speedypc software"
Successfully deleted: [Folder] "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\start menu\programs\speedypc software"

Scan was completed on 07/01/2014 at 13:48:56.87
End of JRT log

#9 RoryFire

RoryFire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Speccy's spec:  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oDLTcaV35jUBNUqdcufoVCB

Also ran TFC.

One thing I just noticed (per the thread title) is that Safe Mode on its own works, but not Safe Mode with Networking - just says "The system cannot log you on. Please try again or consult your system administrator."  I never tried it on its own before.

I'm wondering if either HP ProtectTools or rapportmgmtservice (part of Rapport Management Service developed by Trusteer) could be affecting things.

Edited by RoryFire, 07 January 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hi RoryFire, and thanks for staying here,

These compact XP HP's often tend to not get looked after as well as they can be.

Re your question on rapportmgmtservice -
RapportMgmtService.exe - Bleeping Computer from our data bank -

This program, SpeedyPC Registration3, is one of your major problems, and you Must remove it now.

All of these "scam" programs are useless at best, and will cause damage to the system at least.

These files / folders were all recognised and partially or fully removed by JRT.

free offers from freeze.com
ilivid
speedypc software
televisionfanaticei
conduit
conduitengine
searchprotect
drivercure
searchquband
bearshare applications

McAfee or AVG Free have not been mentioned in the scans yet, just MSE and it now just shows avast! as installed (see the Speccy report), but if it causes problems, uninstall it, and reinstall MSE from HERE

Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 19% Defragment your hard drive soon! (Do NOT defrag if SSD!)
You do not have a SSD, just a standard Hitachi HDD so please run Defrag from Accessories > System tools.

Last -

Please download MiniToolBox to desktop to run it.
Checkmark following boxes:
* Flush DNS
* Report IE Proxy Settings
* Reset IE Proxy Settings
* Report FF Proxy Settings
* Reset FF Proxy Settings
* List content of Hosts
* List IP configuration
* List Winsock Entries
* List last 10 Event Viewer log
* List Installed Programs
* List Devices (do NOT change any settings here)
* List Users, Partitions and Memory size
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Click Go and post the result. (result.txt)

Thank You -

#11 RoryFire

RoryFire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for getting back to me.

While you were asleep I did defrag the HDD.

I did recognise that some of the programs listed needed to be removed - especially Bearshare, which I removed early on.  I now only see a couple of references to it and they're empty folders when I search the HDD now, yet I notice it's listed as an installed program in MiniToolBox results.   Also, I can't see a SpeedyPC uninstall so used Revo Uninstaller to remove it.

I tried MSE again earlier and had the same failure as originally - it installs OK, but then fails when it tries to do its initial update due to network or connection error.  Microsoft updates do work OK.  I worked through the MSE update troubleshooter but it made no difference.

Here is the MiniToolBox report:

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 18-12-2013
Ran by Administrator (administrator) on 07-01-2014 at 22:38:41
Running from "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Flush DNS: ===================================

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

========================= IE Proxy Settings: ==============================

Proxy is not enabled.
No Proxy Server is set.

"Reset IE Proxy Settings": IE Proxy Settings were reset.

========================= FF Proxy Settings: ==============================

"Reset FF Proxy Settings": Firefox Proxy settings were reset.

========================= Hosts content: =================================

127.0.0.1       localhost

========================= IP Configuration: ================================

Intel® 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection = Local Area Connection (Connected)

# ----------------------------------
# Interface IP Configuration         
# ----------------------------------
pushd interface ip

# Interface IP Configuration for "Local Area Connection"

set address name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp
set dns name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp register=PRIMARY
set wins name="Local Area Connection" source=dhcp

popd
# End of interface IP configuration

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Bert

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home.gateway

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home.gateway

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 18-A9-05-F4-C5-F9

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.117

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 07 January 2014 22:27:07

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 January 2014 22:27:07

Server:  home.gateway.home.gateway
Address:  192.168.2.1

Name:    google.com.home.gateway
Address:  92.242.132.15

Pinging google.com [173.194.41.69] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 173.194.41.69: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=52

Reply from 173.194.41.69: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 173.194.41.69:

Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 19ms

Server:  home.gateway.home.gateway
Address:  192.168.2.1

Name:    yahoo.com.home.gateway
Address:  92.242.132.15

Pinging yahoo.com [98.138.253.109] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 98.138.253.109: bytes=32 time=139ms TTL=45

Reply from 98.138.253.109: bytes=32 time=138ms TTL=45

Ping statistics for 98.138.253.109:

Minimum = 138ms, Maximum = 139ms, Average = 138ms

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...18 a9 05 f4 c5 f9 ...... Intel® 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.2.1   192.168.2.117      10
    63.245.215.95  255.255.255.255      192.168.2.1   192.168.2.117      10
        127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0        127.0.0.1       127.0.0.1      1
      169.254.0.0      255.255.0.0    192.168.2.117   192.168.2.117      20
      192.168.2.0    255.255.255.0    192.168.2.117   192.168.2.117      10
    192.168.2.117  255.255.255.255        127.0.0.1       127.0.0.1      10
    192.168.2.255  255.255.255.255    192.168.2.117   192.168.2.117      10
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0    192.168.2.117   192.168.2.117      10
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255    192.168.2.117   192.168.2.117      1
Default Gateway:       192.168.2.1
Persistent Routes:
  None
========================= Winsock entries =====================================

Catalog5 01 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 02 C:\WINDOWS\system32\winrnr.dll [16896] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 03 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog5 04 C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mdnsNSP.dll [121704] (Apple Inc.)
Catalog9 01 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 02 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 03 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 04 C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsvpsp.dll [92672] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 05 C:\WINDOWS\system32\rsvpsp.dll [92672] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 06 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 07 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 08 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 09 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 10 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 11 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 12 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 13 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 14 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)
Catalog9 15 C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll [245248] (Microsoft Corporation)

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (01/07/2014 05:57:21 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (User: )
Description: Hanging application adwcleaner(2).exe, version 3.0.1.6, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Error: (01/07/2014 05:57:20 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (User: )
Description: Hanging application adwcleaner(2).exe, version 3.0.1.6, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Error: (01/07/2014 02:16:17 PM) (Source: Application Hang) (User: )

Error: (01/07/2014 01:06:05 PM) (Source: MPSampleSubmission) (User: )
Description: mptelemetry0x80508001mpupdateengineam fe11.1.4501.0mpsigstub.exe4.4.304.0microsoft security essentialsNILNILNIL

Error: (01/07/2014 01:05:07 PM) (Source: Microsoft Security Client) (User: )
Description: mssecurityclientmsseces.exe4.4.304.00x80070643updatecmainwindow__onsignatureupdatestatus0security essentialsNILNILNIL

Error: (01/07/2014 01:05:03 PM) (Source: MPSampleSubmission) (User: )
Description: mptelemetry0x80508001mpupdateengineam fe11.1.4501.0mpsigstub.exe4.4.304.0microsoft security essentialsNILNILNIL

Error: (01/07/2014 01:02:50 PM) (Source: MPSampleSubmission) (User: )

Error: (01/07/2014 01:02:07 PM) (Source: MPSampleSubmission) (User: )

Error: (01/07/2014 01:00:52 PM) (Source: MPSampleSubmission) (User: )
Description: mptelemetry0x80070003moaccachereset4.4.304.0unspecifiedunspecifiedunspecifiedNILNILNIL

Error: (01/07/2014 10:29:08 AM) (Source: Application Hang) (User: )
Description: Hanging application adwcleaner[1].exe, version 3.0.1.6, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

System errors:
=============
Error: (01/07/2014 10:27:49 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The McAfee Anti-Malware Core service depends on the following nonexistent service: mfevtp

Description: The McAfee AP Service service depends on the following nonexistent service: mfevtp

Error: (01/07/2014 04:34:03 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The McAfee Anti-Malware Core service depends on the following nonexistent service: mfevtp

Error: (01/07/2014 04:34:03 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The McAfee AP Service service depends on the following nonexistent service: mfevtp

Error: (01/07/2014 04:31:03 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
aswRvrt
aswSnx
aswSP
aswTdi
aswVmm
Fips
intelppm
RapportKELL
RsvLock

Error: (01/07/2014 04:22:00 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )

Error: (01/07/2014 04:22:00 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )

Error: (01/07/2014 04:17:07 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: DCOM got error "%%1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments ""
in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Error: (01/07/2014 04:16:11 PM) (Source: DCOM) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: DCOM got error "%%1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments ""
in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (01/07/2014 05:57:21 PM) (Source: Application Hang)(User: )
Description: adwcleaner(2).exe3.0.1.6hungapp0.0.0.000000000

Error: (01/07/2014 05:57:20 PM) (Source: Application Hang)(User: )

Error: (01/07/2014 02:16:17 PM) (Source: Application Hang)(User: )

Error: (01/07/2014 01:06:05 PM) (Source: MPSampleSubmission)(User: )

Error: (01/07/2014 01:05:07 PM) (Source: Microsoft Security Client)(User: )
Description: mssecurityclientmsseces.exe4.4.304.00x80070643updatecmainwindow__onsignatureupdatestatus0security essentialsNILNILNIL

Error: (01/07/2014 01:05:03 PM) (Source: MPSampleSubmission)(User: )

Error: (01/07/2014 01:02:50 PM) (Source: MPSampleSubmission)(User: )

Error: (01/07/2014 01:02:07 PM) (Source: MPSampleSubmission)(User: )

Error: (01/07/2014 01:00:52 PM) (Source: MPSampleSubmission)(User: )
Description: mptelemetry0x80070003moaccachereset4.4.304.0unspecifiedunspecifiedunspecifiedNILNILNIL

Error: (01/07/2014 10:29:08 AM) (Source: Application Hang)(User: )
Description: adwcleaner[1].exe3.0.1.6hungapp0.0.0.000000000

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

Acronis True Image (Version: 9.0.2302)
ActivClient x86 (Version: 6.2)
Adobe Acrobat 5.0 (Version: 5.0)
Adobe AIR (Version: 3.9.0.1380)
Adobe Community Help (Version: 3.5.23)
Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX (Version: 11.9.900.170)
Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin (Version: 11.9.900.170)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 (Version: 10.0)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 (Version: 9.0)
Adobe Photoshop.com Inspiration Browser (Version: 3.07)
Adobe Premiere Elements 9 (Version: 9.0)
Adobe Reader X (10.1.8) (Version: 10.1.8)
Akamai NetSession Interface
Apple Application Support (Version: 2.3.6)
Apple Mobile Device Support (Version: 7.0.0.117)
Apple Software Update (Version: 2.1.3.127)
ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5.5
avast! Free Antivirus (Version: 9.0.2011)
AVS Image Converter 2.1.2.169
AVS Update Manager 1.0
AVS4YOU Software Navigator 1.4
BBC iPlayer Desktop (Version: 3.2.15)
BearShare (Version: 10.0.0.122124)
Bonjour (Version: 3.0.0.10)
BUFFALO AirStation Bandwidth 20/40MHz Select Tool (Uninstallation)
Canon CanoScan Toolbox 4.5
CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Task for ZoomBrowser EX (Version: 1.7.2.11)
Canon Internet Library for ZoomBrowser EX (Version: 1.6.3.9)
Canon iP6600D
Canon iP6600D Memory Card Utility
Canon MovieEdit Task for ZoomBrowser EX (Version: 3.4.1.9)
Canon Utilities CameraWindow DC 8 (Version: 8.9.0.4)
Canon Utilities Digital Photo Professional (Version: 3.12.30.0)
Canon Utilities Easy-PhotoPrint
Canon Utilities Easy-PrintToolBox
Canon Utilities EOS Utility (Version: 2.8.1.0)
Canon Utilities ImageBrowser EX (Version: 1.4.0.5)
Canon Utilities Original Data Security Tools (Version: 1.8.0.1)
Canon Utilities PhotoStitch (Version: 3.1.23.47)
Canon Utilities Picture Style Editor (Version: 1.7.0.0)
Canon Utilities WFT Utility (Version: 3.5.1.1)
Canon Utilities ZoomBrowser EX (Version: 6.5.1.15)
CD-LabelPrint
Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726) 32-Bit Edition
Device Access Manager for HP ProtectTools (Version: 5.0.1.6)
Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools (Version: 5.0.6.0)
Dropbox (Version: 2.4.10)
DVD Menu Template Package 1.2 (Version: 1.2)
Easy-WebPrint
Elements 10 Organizer (Version: 10.0)
Elements 9 Organizer (Version: 9.0)
Elements STI Installer (Version: 1.0)
Elements+ for PSE 9 (demo)
File Sanitizer For HP ProtectTools (Version: 5.0.1.3)
GIMP 2.6.3
Google Chrome (Version: 31.0.1650.63)
Google Drive (Version: 1.13.5782.599)
Google Earth (Version: 7.1.2.2041)
Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer (Version: 1.0.0)
Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer (Version: 7.5.4805.320)
Google Update Helper (Version: 1.3.22.3)
GTK2-Runtime
HP Help and Support (Version: 4.2.0010)
HP ProtectTools Security Manager (Version: 5.06.696)
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver (Version: 6.14.10.5102)
Intel® Network Connections Drivers (Version: 14.5)
Intel® Active Management Technology
InterVideo WinDVD 8 (Version: 8.5.10.79)
iTunes (Version: 11.1.3.8)
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 7 (Version: 1.5.0.70)
Java 7 Update 45 (Version: 7.0.450)
Java Auto Updater (Version: 2.1.9.8)
Java Card Security for HP ProtectTools (Version: 5.0.4.1)
Junk Mail filter update (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
KODAK Picture CD
Manual CanoScan LiDE 35
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (Version: 1.1.4322)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Security Update (KB2833941)
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 (Version: 2.2.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 (Version: 3.2.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Version: 3.5.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Version: 4.0.30319)
Microsoft Application Error Reporting (Version: 12.0.6012.5000)
Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package
Microsoft Choice Guard (Version: 2.0.48.0)
Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP (Version: 1)
Microsoft Office Access MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Access Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Excel MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office OneNote MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Outlook MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office PowerPoint MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Professional 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Proof (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Proof (French) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Proof (Spanish) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Proofing (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Publisher MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Shared Setup Metadata MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Single Image 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Office Word MUI (English) 2010 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Silverlight (Version: 5.1.20913.0)
Microsoft Software Update for Web Folders  (English) 14 (Version: 14.0.7015.1000)
Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime Native v1.0 (x86) (Version: 1.0.1215.0)
Microsoft Sync Framework Services Native v1.0 (x86) (Version: 1.0.1215.0)
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Update kb973923 - x86 8.0.50727.4053 (Version: 8.0.50727.4053)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (Version: 8.0.61001)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ATL Update kb973924 - x86 9.0.30729.4148 (Version: 9.0.30729.4148)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - KB2467174 - x86 9.0.30729.5570 (Version: 9.0.30729.5570)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17 (Version: 9.0.30729)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (Version: 9.0.30729.6161)
Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86 (Version: 8.0.50727.4053)
Microsoft_VC80_MFC_x86 (Version: 8.0.50727.4053)
Microsoft_VC80_MFCLOC_x86 (Version: 8.0.50727.4053)
Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86 (Version: 1.00.0000)
Mozilla Firefox 26.0 (x86 en-US) (Version: 26.0)
Mozilla Maintenance Service (Version: 26.0)
MSVCRT (Version: 14.0.1468.721)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) (Version: 4.20.9870.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688) (Version: 4.20.9876.0)
MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579) (Version: 6.10.1200.0)
Norton Online Backup (Version: 1.2.20.0)
PDF Complete Special Edition (Version: 3.5.109)
Photo DVD Maker Professional 8.10 (Version: 8.10)
Photo Story 3 for Windows (Version: 3.0.1115.11)
Privacy Manager for HP ProtectTools (Version: 5.01.734)
PSE10 STI Installer (Version: 10.0)
QuickTime (Version: 7.74.80.86)
Rapport (Version: 3.5.1304.32)
Readon TV Movie Radio Player 7.3.0.0 (Version: 7.3.0)
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (Version: 5.10.0.5886)
Revo Uninstaller 1.95 (Version: 1.95)
Satellite TV for PC
Segoe UI (Version: 14.0.4327.805)
Serif DrawPlus 5.0
Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687455) 32-Bit Edition
Sibelius Scorch (ActiveX Only) (Version: 6.2.0)
Sibelius Scorch (Firefox, Opera, Netscape only) (Version: 6.2.0)
SmartSound Quicktracks for Premiere Elements 9.0 (Version: 3.12.3090)
Speccy (Version: 1.24)
StatTrak Address Manager (Version:  5.1.11)
Symantec Workspace Virtualization Agent (Version: 6.1.5116)
Theft Recovery (Version: 5.1.0.19)
Trusteer Endpoint Protection (Version: 3.5.1304.32)
U.S. Robotics Wireless MAXg Adapter
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (KB963707) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2468871) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2533523) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (KB2600217) (Version: 1)
Update for Microsoft Access 2010 (KB2553446) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Filter Pack 2.0 (KB2810071) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589298) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589352) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2589375) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2597087) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2760598) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2760631) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2794737) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2826026) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2850079) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft OneNote 2010 (KB2810072) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 (KB2553145) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Visio Viewer 2010 (KB2810066) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Word 2010 (KB2837593) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2598845) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB2632503) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2141007) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2345886) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2467659) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2492386) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2541763) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2607712) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2616676) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2641690) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2661254-v2) (Version: 2)
Update for Windows XP (KB2718704) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2736233) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2749655) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2808679) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2863058) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB2904266) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB898461) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB951978) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB955759) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB967715) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB968389) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB971029) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB971737) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB973687) (Version: 1)
Update for Windows XP (KB973815) (Version: 1)
Visual Studio 2012 x86 Redistributables (Version: 14.0.0.1)
WebFldrs XP (Version: 9.50.7523)
Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications (KB905474) (Version: 1.9.0040.0)
Windows Internet Explorer 8 (Version: 20090308.140743)
Windows Live Communications Platform (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
Windows Live Essentials (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Windows Live Essentials (Version: 14.0.8117.416)
Windows Live Mail (Version: 14.0.8117.0416)
Windows Live Sign-in Assistant (Version: 5.000.818.5)
Windows Live Upload Tool (Version: 14.0.8014.1029)
Windows Management Framework Core
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Player 11

========================= Devices: ================================

Name: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Description: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Class Guid: {4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Manufacturer: (Standard keyboards)
Service: i8042prt
Problem: : This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)
Resolution: The device is installed incorrectly. The problem could be a hardware failure, or a new driver might be needed.
Devices stay in this state if they have been prepared for removal.
After you remove the device, this error disappears.Remove the device, and this error should be resolved.

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 25%
Total physical RAM: 3543.17 MB
Available physical RAM: 2642.82 MB
Total Pagefile: 5424.37 MB
Available Pagefile: 4622.73 MB
Total Virtual: 2047.88 MB
Available Virtual: 1969.1 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: () (Fixed) (Total:149.05 GB) (Free:55.36 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\BERT

Administrator            ASPNET                   Guest                    
HelpAssistant            SUPPORT_388945a0         

**** End of log ****

Edited by RoryFire, 07 January 2014 - 06:02 PM.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

MSE will not want to install while you have avast! running (shows in other scans).

Error: (01/07/2014 01:02:07 PM) (Source: MPSampleSubmission) (User: )

This is an error where MSE has clashed with your other Antivirus programs.

System errors:
=============

This is a problem with McAfee still being installed, but only bits of it are left, so they cause problems.

We need to Fully remove it first with MCPR tool (below).

Can we try and drag the McAfee remains out -

Then we can see if there is a clash between the Antivirus / Antimalware programs.

http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallmcafee.shtml <= Original instructions are from here, or from McAfee forum site.

To remove the McAfee Antivirus and Antimalware programs -
Follow these directions to download the McAfee Removal Tool and run it to remove the above programs.

1. Click on the following link to download the MCPR removal tool

MCPR.exe

2. Click Save and save the file to your desktop
3. Close all McAfee Application windows you may have open, and double-click on MCPR.exe to start the removal tool.

* Vista/ Win 7 & 8 users will have to right-click on the file and select "Run as Administrator"
4. After the removal tool finishes, you should be prompted to restart your computer.
5. Once the computer restarts, your McAfee product should be uninstalled.
6. If for any reason there appears a red X during the uninstall, go to the following location for more advanced uninstall instructions involving the registry.

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100299&lang=en_US&prior_tid=6&AnswerID=16777219

Extra Optional Steps
1. Open My Computer, double-click on Drive C
2. Double-click on Program Files
3. Look for any McAfee product folders that remain. Right-click on them and choose Delete
4. Close My Computer and other folders

Thanks -

#13 RoryFire

RoryFire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:38 AM

OK, done that - the McAfee tool took ages to run (almost an hour) but did say it was succesful - no red X's.

By the way, the link to the advance removal instructions is correct but doesn't go to the right place - I found the doc at http://web.archive.org/web/20111005164911/http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100299&lang=en_US&prior_tid=6&AnswerID=16777219 but didn't need it.

I looked at the program files folder and there are no McAfee folder(s) there now. 

ETA: I removed Avast and re-installed MSE from the link you gave.  Same as before, it installs OK, but when doing its initial update I get the same error: Connection failed.  ...because of an Internet or network connectivity problem.

At the moment I've left it like that (machine is not being used).

Edited by RoryFire, 08 January 2014 - 05:01 AM.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

By the way, the link to the advance removal instructions is correct but doesn't go to the right place -

Hi -

Now you know why I left the PC Hell site link (to be sure of everything).

So - Do you have only 1 active Antivirus now and is it enough for you ?

AdwCleaner -

* Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
* Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
* Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
* Click on the Scan button (only once)
* AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
* After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
* NOW - Click on the Clean button (only once) - Note your computer should soon be Rebooted
* Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
* Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
* After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
* Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
* A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

This was one program that would not run earlier, so I want to try it now........

This error for the list of drivers etc, that will not load is quite a concern also.

I might try to find if they are installed later.

Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
aswRvrt
aswSnx
aswSP
aswTdi
aswVmm
Fips
intelppm
RapportKELL
RsvLock

#15 RoryFire

RoryFire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:46 AM

Thanks again.

I couldn't get MSE to install its updates - even tried manually, downloaded and clicked the run button but then just nothing seems to happen.  So I'll go back to Avast although it troubles me (as an indication that something is wrong) that MSE won't work.

I'm currently running AdwCleaner - I have to say it looks the same as before, just sitting there doing nothing, with a message saying "Generic scan in progress..." but no progress across the bar.  When you say it may take some time, how long (bearing in mind this machine is pretty slow)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users