Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU Not giving correct power?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LuukPeeters

LuukPeeters

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

So I was playing games when I went away, shut down my pc, when I came back I wanted to play some games but they all lagged. (Games like Battlefield 3/4, Arma 2 OA, Dayz, Arma 3)

I have posted a forum on a different website and I guess my PSU isn't giving the correct amount of power. I have a 650W but apparently it is giving power like it's 500W.

Here is the other post and maybe you can help me?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f59/playing-games-flawless-and-now-massive-lag-773858.html#post4690570

My Specs:

CPU: i5-3330
GPU: MSI's Gtx 650 Ti Boost (also called Gtx 650 OC 2GB)
MOBO: Gigabyte H61M-D2H-USB3
2TB HDD
8GB Ram

PSU: HKC V-power 650W

I'm running Windows 8.1.

I hope you can solve the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:53 AM

Well if the report from the hardware diagnostic is accurately reading your system, the 12V rail in the PSU is indeed terrible, and the PSU should be replaced. The video card runs from the 12V supply, so if this is bad the card will turn off the power-hungry advanced performance features, which will certainly cause low performance. Apart from fitting a decent replacement PSU, the other way to be sure the diagnostic is reporting the voltages correctly would be to test the +12V rails with a digital multimeter.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 LuukPeeters

LuukPeeters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

Do you recommend any PSU's? I don't want to spent alot of money...

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:03 AM

Depending on your marketing region, but Seasonic is consistently mentioned as being decent and good value.

#5 LuukPeeters

LuukPeeters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:09 AM

Ah perfect ;), their building in europe is in the city next to mine :D

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,470 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

One of the things with a PSU is being able to know who actually made what's inside any particular one. Not every brand may have all their models sourced from the same manufacturer etc. Worth a Google search for any Model you consider, to see if there are any good or adverse reports about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users