Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss of internet access after windows update of 4th inst.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheOddjobMan

TheOddjobMan

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:01 AM

Turned my desktop on yesterday morning to find it would not connect to the internet. It would connect to my LAN and my internet connection was fine - connected via laptop connected wirelessly to router. Tried switching off my security - McAfee - but this made no difference. Machine had been working on the 3rd and 2nd so wound it back to the 2nd. Problem gone. Turned it on this morning, problem back. Wound it back and turned off automatic updates as a temporary fix. I'm running W7 Ultimate 64Bit. None of my browsers would connect and neither would Outlook 2007. I'm running IE 10 but the latest versions of Maxthon, Firefox and Chrome. I know 10 is out of date but an acquaintance suggested he had a similar problem to me after an IE update. Any suggestions welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

Let's try resetting your TCP/IP. You can click this link http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9664547 and download the automattic reset from microsoft or you can do it manually using these instructions.

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:

1. To open a command prompt, click Start and then type CMD in the Search programs and files.
  2. Right-click CMD.exe icon in Programs and choose Run as administrator.
  3. When the User Account Control box pop up, click Yes.
  4. At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
  5. Reboot the computer.

When you run the reset command, it rewrites two registry keys that are used by TCP/IP. This has the same result as removing and reinstalling the protocol. The reset command rewrites the following two registry keys:

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\

To run the manual command successfully, you must specify a file name for the log, in which the actions that netsh takes will be recorded. When you run the manual command, TCP/IP is reset and the actions that were taken are recorded in the log file, known as resetlog.txt in this article.

The first example, c:\resetlog.txt, creates a path where the log will reside. The second example, resetlog.txt, creates the log file in the current directory. In either case, if the specified log file already exists, the new log will be appended to the end of the existing file.

#3 TheOddjobMan

TheOddjobMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

Hi KingdomSeeker,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go when I've got a spare hour or two. I'll need at least that to allow windows to update automatically and have time to rewind the system if your suggestion doesn't work. I can't see for the life of me why an update would want to alter the comms protocols. Bear with me and I'll update you as soon as I've had a play.

#4 TheOddjobMan

TheOddjobMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Update:

I was forced to use your solution this morning and up to now it seems to have worked. I will now switch automatic updates back on and see what happens.

#5 TheOddjobMan

TheOddjobMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:07 AM

One small query: I can't find the resetlog.txt file. I performed the reset manually using your instructions and decided to look at the reset log. Search couldn't find it and examining the C drive manually  also draws a blank. I have un-hidden files in the folders options menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users