Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchpad code 10: Device cannot start & keyboard code 19: registry corrupt

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StanMarsh

StanMarsh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

Hello everyone. I'm working on a customers computer and can't seem to solve this problem. Apparently when the customer went to use her computer the other day, neither the touchpad or keyboard would work. Using a wireless usb keyboard/touchpad combo, I was able to get to device manager to take a look.

The touchpad is giving code 10: the device cannot start. The keyboard is giving code 19: windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. For some reason, my keyboard on the usb keyboard/touchpad combo also has the same error. So right now I'm using the usb touchpad and onscreen keyboard.

The keyboard and touchpad both work in the BIOS / using the windows 7 DVD.

System specs: HP DV7 4151-nr running windows 7 home premium SP1 64 bit. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02618764&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4345831

Things I've tried already..

1. Running virus scans. Ran malwarebytes, hitman pro, and avast with no hit

2.Reinstalling the drivers. I've tried the touchpad driver from the hp website as well as generic drivers and still get the error.

3. Restoring the registry with regback http://www.easydesksoftware.com/news/news40.htm

4. Ran IO bit's registry repair software.

I've tried this all in safe mode as well.

I need to have this done in less than 12 hours (my customer needs it by then) so if I can't get this resolved by then I'm going to have to reformat which would be a huge pain . :(

Edited by StanMarsh, 05 January 2014 - 12:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Try uninstalling the keyboard in device manager and then selecting Scan for Hardware changes. If that does not work try this. Go to the following key on a working Windows 7 computer and export the following key. You can compare the values and see if there is a discrepancy.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

Copy it to your clients computer, and select merge, but just in case I would export the clients registry key as a backup.

Another thought. Maybe this is USB related. I cannot confirm that the touchpad of the HP uses an USB interface but you can try uninstalling the USB ports in device manager as explained here.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/code-10-error.htm

As a reference the GUID for the mouse and pointing device is 4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 you may want to check that also.

Good luck.

#3 StanMarsh

StanMarsh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:01 PM

Problem was fixed by doing a windows 7 repair install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users