Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vipre/Norton AV Conflict?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 katzandmice

katzandmice

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

I installed Vipre Internet Security 2014 two days ago and removed Norton AV. Vipre is currently running. I just completed about four days of "fixes" with RPMurphy (BC) which was followed by the Vipre install/Norton removal. The thread for that problem is at: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518865/infected-trojanagentgen-symmi-gen-zbot-unable-to-remove-with-sas-or-mbam. RPMurphy :bowdown: did a great job :thumbup2: ! Everything was fine - for a little while. Slowly, the computer started acting a little weird, mouse is a little jumpy, sounds crackle a little bit and at times, stick (but not during a test), programs would take forever to open, processing became slower, and slower, and slower, etc. All the time, Vipre was running and no threats were detected. I actually haven't had much of a chance to even use the PC to allow another virus in the door! I have since verified the drivers for the mouse and sound card, ran chkdsk /f no problems were found. I also ran Ccleaner and cleaned up all the garbage that was still hiding out on the PC. Just now, I ran, Speccy (very latest version) and it indicates (under Operating System) that Norton AV is enabled and that ThreatSecurity (Vipre) is disabled! Is it possible that there is some sort of conflict occurring in these programs due to some portion of Norton that was not uninstalled? Could this be causing the fluctuating mouse, crackly speaker noises, etc? Since I just finished up virus removal with RPMurphy, I don't believe that this is a virus problem and I am thinking :scratchhead: there is something in the software side that is causing these problems. Maybe it's just :crazy: me?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:30 AM

Please follow this last post from RPMcMurphy

QUOTE -

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.   

END QUOTE -

There may still be ongoing problems that were not finished yet -

Thank You -     

Minor Edit -  

Edited by noknojon, 05 January 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

If there was a previous anti-virus installed, you need to ensure it has been completely removed. If not, there may be conflicts when attempting to install a new anti-virus to include it not being recognized by the Security Center. In many cases vendors offer clean-up utilities like the Norton Removal Tool to remove remnants left behind after unintalling.

As a side note, it is not uncommon for a delay in the security software to sync up with the WMI repository, particularly if the computer is taxed by startup programs and services which utlized large amounts of system resources. I occasionally get a warning my system is unprotected on one of my machines with Eset Nod 32. However, after a couple minutes (and everything loads), the warning disappears and the Security Center shows it is protected.

The Security/Action Center gets its data from the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Repository and uses a two-tiered approach for detection status. One tier is manual, and the other tier is automatic through WMI. In manual detection mode, Windows Security Center searches for registry keys and files that are provided to Microsoft by independent software manufacturers. These registry keys and files let Windows Security Center detect the status of independent software.

If you are experiencing problems with the WMI service you might need to manually stop and restart it.

Press the WINKEY + R keys on the keyboard or click StartBtn.gif > Run..., and in the Open dialog box, type: cmd
Click OK or press Enter.

If using Vista/Windows 7, click StartBtn.gif and open an elevated Command Prompt by typing cmd into the search box, then right-click on cmd.exe and Run As Administrator. Alternatively, you can go to StartBtn.gif > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and Run As Administrator.

At the command prompt C:\>_, type the following bolded text, and press Enter after each line:
net stop winmgmt
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
net start winmgmt

It may take a few minutes to complete while WMI rebuilds the database. Reboot when done.

If the above does not resolve the issue, then recontact RPMcMurphy.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 katzandmice

katzandmice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

I downloaded the Norton Removal Tool, ran it, the conflict disappeared. Thanks. No further action is required at this point.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,388 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif