Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rian Hanson

Rian Hanson

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

So I had SFC in a command prompt to see if I can fix any errors on my Windows 8.1. It came up with this log, and told me that some files were corrupt and that they couldn't be fixed. :X Ran Anti-virus programs they came up with nothing. So I have no idea what is wrong with my PC. :| Here's the CBS log that came up after using Windows Resource Protection. 

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=32A450F6A2BF6EB2%21793

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

Try using the Automatic Repair option in Windows 8/8.1.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Problem_Solver

Problem_Solver

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Rian,

I will need some more info to help:

What caused you to run SFC? (Slow computer? Windows failing to update? etc...)

Are you using a desktop or a laptop? What brand? (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc..) - EDIT: If you want assistance looking up warranty info, please message me the serial number, or service tag, of your product. EDIT

What antivirus are you using?

Edited by Problem_Solver, 05 January 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

Please the provide serial number, or service tag, of your product.

I would highly suggest that you not provide that information in a public forum.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Rian Hanson

Rian Hanson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

Slow computer, my event viewer giving me errors that a couple of files are corrupt or missing. I am running ESET, Maleware Bytes, and a couple of others. I am using a Samsung Laptop. Also I do not get that option, I get a Start up repair option instead. And when I ran that, it said it cannot repair the files.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

Let us know what the scans produce.

#7 Rian Hanson

Rian Hanson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Alright, ESET will take some time, I can post Maleware in a few moments.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2014.01.01.02

Windows 8 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.16476
Nayru Roivas :: RHEA [administrator]

1/5/2014 4:29:19 PM
mbam-log-2014-01-05 (16-29-19).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 226589
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 22 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

#8 Rian Hanson

Rian Hanson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

ESET also came up with nothing.

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

To Repair a Windows 8 Installation (AKA Image)

• Download the following link CheckHealth and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click the file and allow changes to be made to the computer.
  • If scan health reports any errors in the component store proceed to step 4. If it reports No Component Store Corruption Detected your done.
  • To repair the component store using Windows Update as a repair source. Download the following file RestoreHealth and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click the file and allow changes to be made to your computer.
  • Reboot the computer to finish installing any repaired updates.

This will repair any file Errors found in your cbs log (From Running System File Checker).

Edited: Included new batch files to run commands automatically.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 06 January 2014 - 12:17 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#10 Rian Hanson

Rian Hanson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

Alright I did, and this is what I got from my DISM log. It reported Error: 87, and I can't tell if anything more needs to be done. https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=32A450F6A2BF6EB2%21800 It also didn't seem like it was fixing anything, just gave me the same error when I ran CheckHealth. Also rechecking SFC to see if it did anything. Still reporting that their are Error's.

Edited by Rian Hanson, 05 January 2014 - 11:30 PM.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:46 PM

Error code 87 means you typed the command incorrectly. According to your log (online/cleanup-image/restorehealth) you missed the spaces between the commands. To make it easier save RestoreHealth.bat to your desktop and run it. When prompted allow the file to run. When the scann completes it will save results.txt to your desktop.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 05 January 2014 - 11:47 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#12 Problem_Solver

Problem_Solver

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

I believe you are experiencing 1 of 2 possibilities:

Was it slow before 8.1? If not...

Possibility #1 - Most Likely:

You are experiencing unexplainable Windows errors because of bugs in Microsoft's software. 8.1 is the latest OS that Microsoft offers. As a general rule of thumb, Microsoft's latest product is historically buggy during it's first 1-2 years of existence. Nobody is going to give you a good answer - because nobody can. Seriously. It's truth we all have to accept.

Here's what's happened (Please correct me where I'm wrong): You originally had Windows 8 on the Samsung laptop. The laptop came preloaded with Samsung's software for Windows 8. Recently the laptop has been 'successfully' upgraded to 8.1, but it is running slowly.

Your problem is a conflict between Samsung software and Windows 8.1.

Here's how I would make your laptop run like a champ (Please let me know if you need more details):

1. Backup all data

2. Format Hard Drive

3. Install Windows 8 with clean DVD (Not a Samsung DVD, nor "Factory Reset").

4. Install Windows 8 drivers for your Samsung model.

5. Update to Windows 8.1 (You might need to download 1 Windows update to get 8.1 to show up in Store. The update number ends with KBxxxxx389)

6. Install Windows 8.1 drivers for your Samsung model.

7. Fully update Windows 8.1

8. Check the Windows Defender is activated, or install the antivirus of your choice.

9. Restore files from your backup

Also, Windows 8 automatically activates itself. In your case, you shouldn't have any problems. You won't be asked for a Windows 8 product key.

I have not been successful skipping the 8 install and just installing 8.1. I have only been successful installing 8, then upgrading to 8.1.

Possibility #2 - Not likely, but still very possible:

You are experiencing a hardware failure - usually a hard drive. Laptops can get roughed up. Your hard drive may have a fault. If your laptop is free from scrapes, bruises, cuts, contusions, etc... you can have Samsung replace bad parts by paying for the shipping to the repair facility. It won't cost you anything for parts or labor.

If your laptop is under warranty, or you need to know if you're under warranty, you can (sorta) get help from the Samsung chat support technicians. Find them at http://www.samsung.com/us/support/live-chat.html

Access the correct chat by filling in the form:

What product line does your question pertain to (Please select one)? Notebook/Netbook/Ultra Mobile PC
What type of question do you have about your Notebook/Netbook/Ultra Mobile PC? Usage/Operation

After getting on chat myself, I found out the Samsung service center will most likely only install 8 for your laptop if you send it in for repair.

info: Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
info: You are now chatting with 'Saige B'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.
info: Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK1117901671120X
Visitor: Hi Saige
Saige B: Hi, thank you for reaching out to Samsung technical support. How may I assist you?
Visitor: Hi, I have a Samsung laptop that I've recently upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. Ever since then, the computer has been very slow.
Visitor: If I pay to have this laptop shipped to the Samsung repair facility, can Samsung install Windows 8.1 so that it works properly?
Saige B: Could I know the model number of the laptop?
Visitor: I don't have it at the moment, but it's less than a year old.
Saige B: The service center will install the OS that it is purchased with. Have you installed all the drivers from SW update tool?
Visitor: Will the service technicians install Windows 8.1 if requested, even if the laptop originally came with Windows 8?
Saige B: I am afraid; They will install only Windows 8.
Visitor: Ok, thanks a lot for your time today Saige. I appreciate your answers.

#13 Rian Hanson

Rian Hanson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:45 AM

I do not have the Windows 8 DVD Product Key that came with my computer, it literally didn't come with one. Or if it did come with one I don't remember what happened to it or if it even showed up.  DISM worked and reported that their was now no corruption in the data.

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

Great, You can use Magic Jelly Bean to get your OEM Windows Key. You wont need this if you use the factory recovery software. However its good to have a copy anyways. Is the computer running any better?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#15 Problem_Solver

Problem_Solver

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:10 AM

You will not have a recovery DVD from Samsung (Sometimes you can make it with recovery software).

The "product key" is embedded in the BIOS. You will not need to enter the product key if you reinstall Windows 8. You won't be asked for a product key. It automatically activates when it connects to the internet - it won't even tell you that it activated itself. Right click Computer (Or This PC) and select properties. Scroll to the bottom to verify that Windows is activated.

You can find Windows 8 isos online and create your own DVD. I did a google search and found legitimate repositories quickly (Not sure if it's good to post the link or not here on Bleeping).

Windows runs much cleaner without the brand's software and modifications to the original 8 image.

EDIT If you do decide to reinstall Windows, please take Sneakycyber's advice - better safe than sorry! /EDIT

Edited by Problem_Solver, 06 January 2014 - 01:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users