Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No display on my Monitor

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 yellowdog5

yellowdog5

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

I recently got a new (to me) Windows 7 computer that was put together from used parts by a computer guy.  The first problem I ran into was that my old modem did not work for Windows 7.  While trying to figure that out, I switched the monitor and the ethernet cables back and forth between my old Windows XP computer and the new Windows 7 computer several times.  The display for the Windows 7 computer was fine the last time I used it.  My new modem came today, so I again hooked the monitor (and the new modem) to the Windows 7 computer, and turned it on.  There is no display, the "no signal" sign comes up.  The monitor still works fine on the Windows XP computer.  What could the problem be?  I changed the battery and reseated the memory cards, there's nothing extra in the computer besides the graphics card, and it seems to be properly seated.  There is a dvd drive that sometimes has to be opened manually.  I checked all the connections for the monitor, mouse and keyboard, there does not seem to be a problem there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

is the windows 7 machine a 32 bit or 64 bit?

do you have integrated (onboard) video connection ?

so many variables in this scenario, i will only try a couple questions at a time, it can be overwhelming when too many q's are flying at once.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

I'm pretty sure 32 bit, it has a graphics card, but I don't know what integrated video connection means.  The monitor plugs into the   card.

I also didn't mention that the modem is a Verizon, but my server is Centurylink.  Tech support at Centurylink assured me that I could configure the Verizon modem to work with their service.

Edited by yellowdog5, 05 January 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

is there another video plug in the back panel that is independent of the video card? it is usually sideways and in the top area, with alot of other plugins around it.

it is there as a backup on most systems and is an integrated part of your motherboard incase your video card is not functional.

when you say modem, the first thing that implies is a phone line, but you mean ethernet or LAN cable jack?

yes, the providers like verizon definitely try to brand/label  their hardware for promotional reasons, but it should work independently.

#5 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

It has a port that has one row of needle like connectors, it does not have one like is on the video card or on my monitor.Attached File  1 002 (Small).jpg   61.71KB   0 downloads

The modem has an ethernet connection.

Edited by yellowdog5, 05 January 2014 - 03:19 PM.

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

ok, this may be a BIOS concern

when you initially power up the machine, if you press the f8 key, it should launch BIOS where you can find display settings. don't change anything , but report back what settings you see that pertains to the display. 

#7 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

I tried F8 plus some other suggestions I found for Asus motherboards, Del, Ins and F12.  There is no display on the monitor at all for any of them, the screen stays dark. 

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:03 PM

ok

this video card, check the perimeter of it for a 6 pin connection. if there is one, look for a 6 pin connector coming off of the power supply and plug that into it...there are numerous other connections to check also, the long 20 or 24 pin motherboard connection, an isolated 4 pin connection to the motherboard that isn't a fan connector.. 

what exactly happens when you power on the machine>? do you hear fans, see lights inside, hear beeps or optical drives or anything?

Edited by synergy513, 05 January 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#9 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

The fans and outside lights come on, no beeps. There are 2 green lights, one on the back of the case and one right by the battery which are on all the time.  No other lights inside.   Do I have to remove the video card to check for the 6 pin connection?  Should I try the video card in a different slot?

Edited by yellowdog5, 05 January 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#10 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

Here is a photo

Attached Files

Edited by yellowdog5, 05 January 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#11 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

that looks like it doesn't require a 6 pin connection. but the board itself is a wide load, so it is the middle range which may or may not. the only way to tell for sure is to pull it out and check. while it is out it is a good time to clean the fan .   has the card worked before in another machine? 

#12 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

It was working in the machine it is in now a few days ago, I didn't use it for a few days while I was waiting for the new modem, and when I powered it up to try the new modem, there was no display.  Is the fan part of the card?

#13 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

most cards have their own fan, and they do get dusty and need cleaning periodically. from the snapshot all i can see is the bottom part of the card facing up though which is a standard config., the fan would be underneath.  i would like to think that the new windows 7 32bit and the motherboard isn't sensing the card being present, but i have installed three different cards in my windows 7 machine with my asus x58 motherboard and it saw everyone one of them while booting and up popped the "new hardware found" & "show me the driver"  in the taskbar.

#14 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

Here are more photos.  After I reinstalled it I tried again, still no display :(

Attached Files

#15 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:05 AM

excellent..those photos shed more light. that is a passive cool without the fan and there is no 6 pin connection.   i have seen those passive cool cards go bad from heat accumulation, and the display will still be getting the signal from it, but the display is scrambled. if it was functioning in another machine, and isn't functioning in the windows 7 machine, then the windows 7 machine isn't getting the signal from it. and then on top of that, the windows 7 machine doesn't have the integrated video out feature.   ok, next up is the power supply in the windows 7 machine.

when a PC is first booting up, it is a stressful time on the power supply. even if the power supply isn't right  the lights will still be on, and the fans spinning, but the motherboard just isn't getting the finish from the power supply. OR, there could be a connector that isn't installed. most motherboards have a 4 pin power connection off by itself somewhere.  is that motherboard 4 pin connected from the power supply?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users