Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello - Not new Just old

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thenneberry

thenneberry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

I am a Controls Engineer in charge of large scale PLC and SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) projects. The programs and computers I program run automated systems that are used in the plant floor operations in most plants throughout the world. I am always running into new problems and solutions to the wide variety of computer program hacks that are intended to stop a process in its track or alter the process to crash the system or allow it to run with unintended output. I have always looked to this form for answers to the standard issues that arise from day to day in our business. As the hackers have gotten smarter, so must our controls to prevent them from causing (easily) unrepairable damage to the system or process. I look forward to helping anyone in the automation field (or anyone that needs help) that has run into issues arising from hacks on their process systems. Thomas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

My experiences with automation started with laboratory instruments needing to make exacting measurements in sterile environments.  The most important thing I learned with networked devices and trying to maintain security.  First, NEVER use WIFI, pull CAT5e or CAT6 but eliminate that entry point.  Don't allow the secure network to even find a way to an ISP.  Control points need secure access for USB diagnostics without dis-assembly, some under key to maintain at east one level of security.  If devices have no access points it should be as secure as you can make it.  Once an internet browser establishes the multiple steps to access web pages, all security falls on the user/operator to prevent placing the hardware in jeopardy.  Simulations can be run on moducomp units after programing to insure no conflicts erupt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users