Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Loading Operating System

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ballmoss

ballmoss

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:18 PM

Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude E6500 with no current OS. It was given to me ready for OS installation, in working order by an IS guy.  

The only problem was I didn't know how to install the OS.  I thought I would just follow the prompts.  So, I tried to install a Dell Reinstallation CD Windows XP Home Edition including Service Pack 1 CD.  However, I reached a point where it asked me a question in the process and I wasn't sure what to do so I aborted the process by removing the CD.  OOPS.

A few days later I decided to try and install Windows OS again, thinking when I got to that same question I would call a friend for advice. However, now when I put the CD in, I get the message Error loading operating system.  When I turned off the computer and turned it back on with the CD in the CD slot, it said Press any key to boot from CD.....Error loading operating system. But that's it.  No matter what key I press or how much I plead with it, it's not budging from this screen.

Any suggestions?  The computer was supposed to go on a plane to Central America with me Tuesday for a friend there and I really want to get it working so I can take it.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Ballmoss

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thenneberry

thenneberry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

Go here for direction for your computer, http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/kcs/kcsarticles/articleview?docid=615691, hope this helps. Thomas

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

First, make sure your first boot device in BIOS is the CD drive.

Your computer may have a recovery partition that will let you restore back to the factory state. If there is one it would will probably be for Vista, but since the computer was given to you without an OS, I assume that partition is gone. It may be possible to boot from it by changing it to Active if it still exits but success is hit and miss. It can be done with Minitools Partition Wizard Bootable CD. Download Minitools Partition Wizard Bootable CD. Use your burning software to burn the iso image or you can use Imgburn. Boot the CD and look for a partition of no more than 15GB. If it exists, select it and mark the partition as active and reboot the computer. It may start the recovery process. If the recovery process does not start boot Partition Wizard and mark the partition as Inactive then delete the partition(s) that was created when you first tried to Install XP.

Boot your Dell install CD and at step 6 in the below guide create a new partition and format it. Don't use Partition Wizard to create and format the partition as it will not create the MBR that XP needs to boot.

Here is a step by step guide of the install. Also install SP3 after the install as SP1 is no longer supported. Just a word of caution. All support will end for XP in April of this year and security updates will no longer be available. You may want to consider installing a linux distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint Cinnamon. Or you can buy an OEM copy of Windows 7 for the computer which will be supported with security updates until 2020.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

Is this reinstall disk...the one created for that system?  Dell has not made generic "can be installed on any system disks" since around 2005, I believe.  Since that time, I believe that disks are system-specific.

Louis

#5 ballmoss

ballmoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Thank you all three for your replies! You are like lifesavers being thrown into the river.  I am computer proficient as a user but not by any means tech savvy about software, etc. 

The CD is from an older model Dell computer that is no longer in use.  So, it was not from that specific Dell computer.  However, I was able to resolve part of the situation. Here's what I did:  I rebooted with the CD in the computer and as soon as I saw the words 'Dell' flash, I hit F12.  Then, as soon as I saw 'Press any key to boot from CD ---  but before the error message appeared, I hit a key.  It booted!    

I was able to go through the prompts and got it to install. Now, I only have one small problem left to overcome. I choose Spanish as the language to install but for some reason it is still in English. It shows a task bar item that indicates Spanish, but the Start menu, etc. is in English.  I think the task bar would just allow me to type in Spanish characters.   Perhaps I didn't choose it properly? I selected Apply.   There was an option for non-Unicode programs in the Advanced menu but I didn't know what that meant and didn't change it from English.  Is that the problem?

At any rate, do I have to reinstall it again? Do I risk issues I won't know how to deal with like partitions if I do that?  Or if I do the same process again will it just overwrite the current install and let me take another stab at getting the language to change?  

Thank you so much!

Ellie

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

You can try this but I do not think this is what you are looking for. To get the full Spanish interface you have to install the Spanish MUI pack but that is only available to Enterprises and Volume licenses.

Multilingual User Interface
MUI products are available only through volume agreements from Microsoft. They are not available through retail channels. However, some OEMs distribute the product

#7 ballmoss

ballmoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Okay. Thanks so much! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users