Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop only works in safe mode.Hangs w/ blue circle in Normal mode.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 weathery

weathery

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

There is no malicious software.I have gone through Malwarebytes,TDSSKiller,Kaspersky,etc.Nothing was found.

It doesn't entirely freeze.I can move the cursor which usually is a blue circle.Sometimes more things like highlight icons w/ the cursor or the clock keeps going.

Sometimes when I press ctrl+alt+del and open task manager,the programs that didn't open when I clicked on them will open up.Most times pressing ctrl+alt+del does nothing though.

It works fine in Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking.I have disabled all start ups and every service except Microsoft ones and restarted in Normal mode.Still the same problem.

I used checkdisk and it said nothing is wrong.

There are random times where it works fine.No specific time of day.It just happens.Most times it is this way though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

Did you disable the startup items and services in Safe Mode, and then restart in normal mode?

Essentially what you are trying to do is a Clean Boot, this has to be performed in normal mode.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Step 1

(1)  Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

msconfig2_zps2e854ee3.png

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Step 2

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

Cleanboot_zps3b042516.png

Step 3

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  By disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

cleanboot16_zps67072642.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmesIf the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 weathery

weathery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

It's still the exact same way.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

When you finish step 3 and you reboot, there's no change?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 weathery

weathery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:25 AM

No.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Did you try Option B, disabling Startup items?

#7 weathery

weathery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

Yes.I disabled all start ups and every service except Microsoft ones while running msconfig as Admin and restarted in normal mode.It was still the exact same.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

Try doing a Repair Installation.  This will not effect your data.   In Step 5b you are instructed to choose the Startup repair in the System Recovery Options, do this for this run, but if this doesn't resolve the issue go back to 5b and choose the Command Prompt and run chkdsk c: /r  

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Window 7 Direct Download Links.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

#9 weathery

weathery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

There were no problems found.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Let's go back to your first post.  

You posted

I have disabled all start ups and every service except Microsoft ones and restarted in Normal mode.

In my first response I asked if you had disabled the Startup items and Services in Safe Mode and then restarted in Normally?

I went on to explain that this can't be initiated in Safe Mode.

You never answered my question... did you disable the Startup items and Services in Safe Mode and then restart Normally?

#11 weathery

weathery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

No,it was in Normal mode that I disabled them.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

Please run sfc /scannow.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png and type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

A page similar to the one below will open.

commandprompt_zps212bc71a.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

#13 weathery

weathery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

It stopped 37% into the verification phase and said "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

I would like to run a diagnostic on the hdd.  In order to do this I will need to know the manufacturer of the hdd.  To find this out I would like for you to run a Speccy scan.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

I would like you to run chkdsk /scannow.

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information.

Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png , type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Type in chkdsk c:/r then press Enter.  Please notice the space between the chkdsk and the /r.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

#15 weathery

weathery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/SxVs0hA0EvLZwpCkiiLU34P

Is there a way to read the chkdsk /r results?

Edited by weathery, 08 January 2014 - 03:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users