Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP SimpleSave md1000h

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 501blues

501blues

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

I have a HP SimpleSave MD1000h and the USB connected to the circuit board broke off.

I dissembled the external case and extracted the HD.  Using a HD toaster I was able see the drive but it shows as unallocated and ask if I want to format it.  I know better not to format it.  Is there anyway to recover the data off the drive?  We have all of your family photos on it and need to recover it.  I know there are data recovery places and will send the drive to them if necessary but I wanted to check to see if I could do it myself.

Thanks in advance.

501Blues

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

HP external drives are similar to WD My Book drives and the problem with them is they have a proprietary bridge board. One option you could try but I doubt it will work is to download Minitools Powe data recovery maybe you can see some files. It lets you recover 1GB free to see if will work for you. Another utility is call PhotoRec and it is free but a little more difficult to use. There are quite a few disscussions on the WD drives but there is a one discussion of the HP problem here.

The problem is that the USB to SATA bridge board in the HP Simplesave device has an Initio IC which encrypts and decrypts all data passing through it. So, if you connect just the HDD itself to a machine and the HDD is functional, then you will see the drive but will not be able to read any data as it is encrypted. You need to repair or replace the USB to SATA bridge board in the HP Simplesave enclosure and access the drive through that interface in order to get your data back. It's the same story as the WD My Book drives.

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

JohnC_21 is right but there is also a virtualCD on that board that autoruns the SimpleSave software when it is plugged in. There is a lot of confusion about whether or not it is encrypting the drive like the WD MyBooks do so it is worth a shot to try recovery software first as long as the drive is not damaged. Personally, I don't know if it encrypts it based on the specs but it certainly looks capable of doing it. For example, the MyBooks mention hardware encryption in their documentation but your drive does not.

If that does not work, you need to take it to someone so they can repair the board. It needs to be someone with experience since it is not a simple job and making a mistake can ruin it.

-=[ James ]=-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users