Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kindle Fire need virus protection?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SummerRayz

SummerRayz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

We have a new Kindle Fire HD 7 and we're in a learning curve.  My husband likes to read articles on various websites, but started having some very intrusive ads blanketing the entire screen.  Some of these had no way of closing them and he was very frustrated.  I'm wondering if there is an ad blocker available for the Kindle . . . or is there a setting on it that we haven't set properly?

And, does it need antivirus protection? I'm asking because I heard of someone who had their email hacked on a Kindle.  Thank you!! :unsure:

Edit: Moved topic from Apple iOS to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 K6567

K6567

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

In my opinion YES! and i give you this excerpt from an article by Ashley Poland for http://smallbusiness.chron.com/need-antivirus-kindle-66360.html "The Kindle Fire is vulnerable on two accounts: it connects to the Internet and it runs a modified Android operating system. According to Nerds On Call, any device connected to the Internet should have some form of malware protection. On top of that, Android is the most targeted mobile operating system for malware attacks. While anti-virus isn't as crucial on your Kindle as it would be on your computer, it does lend an extra layer of protection." There are a number of free security apps available at Amazon: Lookout, AVG, Dr. Web. And yes there is an ad blocking app, its called ADBLOCK PLUS. I've used it with Android. it doesn't stop all the ads, but it does give some control over what type ads get through. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users