Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Hd From H: To C: !

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nukey

nukey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

well i wanted to install my palm cd on my computer but since it install on c: (default) and that my harddrive was H: i decided to change my drive letter from H: to C: with partition magic 8.0 and now windows xp wont boot anymore and when i use the recovery floppy to use partition magic in dos i can't change it back to H:

what should i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:48 PM

Actually, i would assume that C: is your default harddisk. and all windows files are being installed over there.

Why did you said that your harddrive is H: ?

Do you have 2 HDD ?

#3 nukey

nukey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 03:41 PM

i know that usualy c: is the dafault hard disk but when i installed windows there was my flash card reader taking the c: letter so i decided to just change my hard disk letter to H:

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:43 PM

So, the problem is that you can't boot into Windows anymore?

I'm not familiar with this, but think that the fix will be using your installation CD to boot into the recovery console and fix the bootup files so that it identifies your drives correctly.

FWIW - this is why I gave up using Partition Magic - just too many unforseen changes that fouled up my system. Now, if I need to re-partition, it's a format and start over from scratch!

BTW - Windows prefers an IDE drive as the boot device (found this out when trying to install a SATA drive) and refused to label my SATA drive (with the OS) as C:\. I had to physically remove all of the IDE devices in order to get it recognized as C:\
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 08:01 PM

i know that usualy c: is the dafault hard disk but when i installed windows there was my flash card reader taking the c: letter so i decided to just change my hard disk letter to H:

That's the problem when people plugged in another drive into PC and while installation of OS.

My guess is that u have mixed up the primary drive.

Can't think of any solution currently.

I'll research on it and see if i can find anything that could help you with it.

P.S: Do you have any important data inside your PC ? For e.g. Confidential Data ? Clients Data etc ?

#6 MagicMike

MagicMike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

Your boot.ini file may be pointing to the wrong partition.
Here is an example:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

This file is from a working system with drive C as the boot drive.
Run the repair console and check your boot.ini file and while you are ther type FIXBOOT and hit enter this will create a new partition boot sector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users