Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 will not start

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sparkiem2

sparkiem2

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

I am working on a Gateway nv51b laptop.

It was brought to me stopping at starting windows screen with logo showing

I tried several things to get it to load windows with no luck.

I then reinstalled windows 7 from disk after formatting drive everything went well.

I was able to get it updated with all updates including ie11

It worked fine for about 2 days and then did the same thing it was doing when it was brought to me.

With no luck getting it to load windows I did the reinstall all over again still was able to get it updated again with all updates.

About 2 days later same thing stops at starting windows screen with the Windows 7 logo.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:39 PM

Go to the hdd's manufacturer's website and download their diagnostic tool, they usually will have a ISO image download which is used to create a bootable disc to run the diagnostic test from.

Check the RAM, pull one module and try both slots with it, do this with the second module.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sparkiem2

sparkiem2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:29 PM

I just let it run startup repair again when it finished and I restarted it loaded windows.

This is the third time I ran startup and repair, the other 2 times did nothing. I have restarted a couple times and it is still loading windows.

Hopefully it will continue to work.

Thanks dc3 for your reply. If it does it again I will try your suggestions.

#4 Flexatek

Flexatek

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

I'm going to say it's a faulty hard drive and ready to be replaced. I would do what DC3 said and check with a hard drive diagnostic tool to see the health of the drive. If you have a second hard drive laying around, even if it is a different size, i would try formatting with the second drive and hold the computer for a few days testing to see if it fails again.

Also what DC3 stated, definitely try testing each ram module.

#5 sparkiem2

sparkiem2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Flexatek

If it fails to start again over next few days I will try a different hard drive

thanks again

#6 sparkiem2

sparkiem2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:24 AM

I have another question.

I have used this computer several hours and have shut it down several times and it has started back with no issues.

I decided to run chkdsk /r on it just to see if it found anything.

In verifying file data (stage 4 of 5) it replaced bad cluster in file 58829 of name \hiberfil.sys

Could this have been causing the problem of windows not loading and freezing at starting windows screen?

#7 Flexatek

Flexatek

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

Instead of using shut down or sleep, there is a hibernation button. This uses that file "hiberfil.sys" to store the current memory state on the PC. I don't see that being an issue, sounds more like just general bad clusters in the windows file which definitely can cause it from not loading / freezing at start up.

#8 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

\hiberfil.sys contains the content of your RAM when your computer goes into hybernation.  It is possibly related but not likely.

#9 sparkiem2

sparkiem2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:43 AM

Thanks guys for you replies. It is still doing ok so far. I have shut down and then started several times and it has loaded each time.

It seems like it takes too long to get past starting windows screen about 30 seconds.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:44 AM

Regarding your question in post #6...

Clusters are the smallest logic amount of disk space that can be allocated to hold a file, clusters form sectors.  Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the hdd and recovers any readable information, this is what your scan did.  

In answer to your question, yes, this could account for the the freezing.  I would strongly suggest that you download the diagnostic ISO image, burn it to a disc and run the long test.

Edited by dc3, 05 January 2014 - 09:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 sparkiem2

sparkiem2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Thanks dc3 I will do that

#12 Flexatek

Flexatek

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

Glad to hear that it is doing better! At least some what.

#13 sparkiem2

sparkiem2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

I downloaded and burned the diagnostic ISO image for WD hard drive. After it ran the results were "Too many errors contact technical support"

So I would say Hard drive is failing, even though it is working now.

Thanks for all your help.

#14 Flexatek

Flexatek

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

Yeah, sounds like the drive is failing. I would recommend while it's working backing up all of your important DATA and save it to an external drive or flash drive. Then replace the HDD, you don't want it to crash while doing something important, mostly with tax season coming.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

With the number of bad sectors this is pretty much what I had expected, but now you know for sure.

I would suggest you not run this hdd any more than you have to and backup all of your important files.  If you have a large flash drive you can simply right click on files and choose Send to and send the files to the external storage drive listed.  Remember to copy your address book in your e-mail client.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users