Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PUP.Optional.1.9.1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ian456

ian456

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

Hello, I just ran a  Malwarebytes scan as I ocasionally do.  This time, for the first time,  I did a full system scan and it found the PUP.Optional.1.9.1 malware. It located it in a programme on my desktop, Unlocker.1.9.1.exe. Other scans with AVG and House Call don't pick anything up. The Unlocker programme is important to me because without it my photshop  files are consistantly locked by Explorer and I can't progress my work. For this reason I didn't want to be too hasty in removing the 'infection'. My PC works just fine and I think PUP stands for potentially unwanted programme.  Potentially? Am I safe to leave it? Please can you advise me? Many thanks in anticipation - Ian.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Brian81

Brian81

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

I've used Unlocker quite extensively in the past. It can be of great use. From what I remember, it will install some extra "junk" during the setup if you're not carefully reading and forget to uncheck a couple of boxes. That aside, I believe the program to be safe and have never had an issue with it.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html

C'Net states on this page

CNET Editors' note: Unlocker includes optional bundled software that may trigger alerts from security software. Unlocker has been tested for malware by the CNET Download.com team and meets our security requirements.

and.....they also offer this advice further down in their spiel....

You do need to read everything, though, because you could end up with more than just the utility you wanted to download and install. In one of the last installation steps you can easily miss the Bing toolbar download option, for example. If you don't want to go through uninstalling/deleting extra programs, then make sure you read and unclick where needed.

Therefore, the PUP here is not Unlocker....it is the crap that has been bundled with it.

Personally, I hate crap that is added in a deceitful manner.....so i would remove it just on principle

You can always reinstall Unlocker (carefully !...custom install !)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

A Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) is a very broad threat category which can encompass any number of different programs to include those which are benign as well as malicious. Thus, this type of detection does not always necessarily mean the file is malicious or a bad program. PUPs in and of themselves are not always bad...many are generally known, non-malicious but unwanted software usually bundled with other free third-party software to include toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins and browser extensions. PUPs are considered unwanted because they can cause undesirable system performance or other problems and are sometimes installed without the user's consent since they are often included when downloading legitimate programs.

In the past, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware detected only PUPs that were considered mostly harmful and deceiving but they revised their policy, taking a more aggressive approach to include PUPs that most users found annoying or misleading. PUPs may be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors. This is what Malwarebytes has to say:
* What are the 'PUP' detections, are they threats and should they be deleted?
* Malwarebytes Adopts Aggressive PUP Policy
* Malwarebytes: Potentially Unwanted Miners – Toolbar Peddlers Use Your System To Make Bitcoin Mining

PUPs may also be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors and may or may not be detected/removed based on that definition.To learn how you get PUPs, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons which change your browser settings
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 ian456

ian456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:04 AM

Many thanks everyone for such prompt and helpful responses - and a happy new year!

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:17 AM

Always a Pleasure ....and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to You too, from All the folks at Bleeping Computer !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,905 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

You're welcome and a Happy New year to you as well.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users