Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to set up Jetpack for business

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 familystone

familystone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

The internet at my office is unreliable sometimes. To hopefully provide access to the internet during days when it is out I bought a Jet pack MHS291LVW that is capable of connecting up to 10 devices. The problem I am having is that the computers in my office are hard wired. We have a router a modem and a switch. Is there a way to set up the router to connect to the Jet pack when the internet is down?

The router has wireless capabilities. It is just that some of the computers don't have wireless. So I was thinking that I could "point" the router to the jetpack when the regular internet was out

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Generally speaking, Jetpack/MiFi type hotspot devices are meant to connected to directly by the each computer (or phone, tablet, etc) using a WiFi connection on the computer, etc.  So, the typical way would be to add WiFi to each computer, which is generally easy to do.

It might be possible to put the router into a "bridge mode" that could then connect to the Jetpack, but that will really depend on the router that you have.  Not all routers can do this.

If you can return the Jetpack, the potentially better option would be to get a router that is mobile broadband capable.  Cradlepoint is one company that makes such routers.  I believe some of their routers are capable of using a "wired" broadband solution as the primary connection and then "falling back" to the mobile broadband if your wired connection goes down.  And many of their routers have ethernet ports.

http://www.cradlepoint.com/products

There maybe other companies that make similar such routers, but Cradlepoint is the one that I know of.

#3 familystone

familystone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Would a USB to Ethernet adaptor work as well or is there some issue with it being a 3g\4g network that would prevent it from working?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

IF you can return the Jet Pack without paying that huge fee, I think smax's idea is far better. CradlePoint's routers will fall over to 3G/4G when the broadband fails and when it senses it reconnect it will switch back, automatically. And provides wired and wireless connections. BUT I would call CradlePoint to make sure you get the router that is right for you. Just a quick look some you had to provide the 3G/4G equipment and others it's built in. 

If not you could get usb wireless adapters for each PC - figure around $20 per and yes some are WAY cheaper but you get what you pay for so I dunno if I'd rely on a $7 dongle. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users