Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can anyone recommend a better GFC card for the same price as this?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tunnix

Tunnix

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hey all. I'm looking to upgrade my GFX card from the GeForce GTX-460. I'm looking at the following  2048MB GDDR 5 PCI Express Card and am just wondering if anyone can suggest anything slightly better for the same price?

It will need to be compatible with my current setup which is Xenon AMD Piledriver FX-4 4300 3.80GHz DDR3 Bundle - Quad Core & Cooler Master GX 450W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply

Many thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

that is the euivalent of the hd7870 with extras. no problem with your quad-core being compatible. as far as price, that is about as good as it gets, there is the hd7950 (r9-280?) that is better performing but the cost isn't justifiable most of the time. that 450 watt psu is a topic for debate though as that 270x is assuredly going to require two 6 pin leads of the PSU and is rated for load tdp at 180 watts. for a few gbp more, the corsair tx 650 is more aligned with your PC requirements.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 Tunnix

Tunnix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

My PSU has an adapter giving it 2 x 6 pin connectors... Will this be okay?

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

you mean the two molex into one 6 pin adapter? most of those 4_0 watt PSUs only have one 6 pin.

that might be ok, but it would be a stretch. most of thime, a gfx card will be on a power saving performance level until it is time to shift gears.

the most stressful time on a psu is when you first boot up, burning an optical disk, and gaming.

i foresee a danger zone, coolermasters aren't the best in the bizz. they are cheap though.

i have a 430 watt thermaltake psu, it is 30 amp. it powers three hard drives and a 90nm cpu and a 65nm 110 watt load tdp gpu with one 6 pin. it has been good to me, but i know its days are numbered.

if your system starts behaving unusually, chances are the 450 watt 35 amp psu just isn't making the finish line

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users