Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless query

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xendistar

xendistar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

A friend has a wireless setup at his house and where the signal reaches it works OK. Unfortunately one of the places it does not work is upstairs (big house, thick walls). He has already tried wireless extenders downstairs but they still do not reach all part of the upstairs. So he is now looking at adding a Wireless access point upstairs (he has a working Ethernet socket which is fairly central to the building upstairs).

Now I know from the point of view of wireless extenders they sit on the outer reaches of an existing wireless network, picks up the signal of the existing wireless network and then retransmit the signal thus extending the wireless networks reach. But if he use's a Wireless access point upstairs getting its network signal via the ethernet socket, can he use the same wireless SSID etc thus making the AP act as an extender or does he have to setup a new wireless network for the upstairs. If he has to setup a new wireless network upstairs will he be able to wander around the house with his tablet\phone and swap between the two wireless networks in the house or will he have to drop one and connect to the other manually or can this be made to happen automatically?

Edited by xendistar, 04 January 2014 - 12:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

Depending on the access point, you can use the same SSID. You will need to make sure they are on different channels, and set the encryption the same with the same key/password. You may have issues when roaming from one area to another. If that is a problem look at Ubiquity Unify its scaleable and has great range. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

If he is not getting enough signal upstairs, he is going to have to use Access Points in those parts of the house.

I have three A/P's in my house active right now. I just tell my devices, to not roam for the others, by turning off that feature. That way I can assign the device to only use the A/P I want it to use.

If I need to use one of the others, I chose it and connect to that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users