Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

short dst fail error code 2000-0142 unit 1 status byte

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lynettecm

Lynettecm

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:20 AM

Is this computer fried? Can I get my data off it if so? The computer will load all the way up to showing desktop with icons. However, when I click a document, the hourglass appears, but nothing happens.
topic (cont.). Status byte 75

Edited by hamluis, 04 January 2014 - 08:13 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lynettecm

Lynettecm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:41 AM

In continuing to test this computer, i am performing a Symptom Tree run test. Unfortunately, I keep getting error code 0F00:0244 in a great many blocks.

#3 Lynettecm

Lynettecm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:43 AM

The msg is Can't read, replace disk or Remove Write Protection.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hi

It sounds like the SMART Drive Short Test (DST) has failed. that usually means that there is physical damage to the hard drive and it should be replaced. Even if you found software that can fix it, it would likely be a temporary fix and the drive will continue to get worse and fail again.

Wish I had better news.

-=[ James ]=-

EDIT: DST may stand for Drive 'Self' Test instead of 'Short' but the error is consistent with a failed Drive Short Self Test. Not sure what that acronym stands for so I wanted to make that clear :)

Edited by James Litten, 04 January 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

Okay, I had a chance to look through my manuals about unit 1 status byte 75 and it can mean overheated and underpowered or simply busy and timed out.

I would recommend sending it to a professional lab for data recovery but if you really want to try it yourself, you could see if attaching it to another computer allows you to access it and get the data off of it. If that does not work then it will probably need to go to a lab because there is a hardware problem inside the drive itself.

-=[ James ]=-

Edited by James Litten, 04 January 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#6 Lynettecm

Lynettecm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:00 AM

Thank you so very much for that information. I played with it and waited for HOURS for it to open in safe mode. I was able to get necessary info from 2 docs. I will junk this now. Enjoy your New Year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users