Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINFLASHPLAYER

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mya123

Mya123

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

Hi,

Since yesterday I keep getting a pop up stating:

WARNING! Please update plug-in to continue

Followed by an "OK" button.

All my tabs are frozen and my only options are to either click "ok" or to force quit safari.

If I click "ok" on the small pop-up window it opens up a tab to www.winflashplayer.com. I clicked "ok" once and it downloaded a random file that isn't supported by mac. I quickly put the download into my trash can and secure emptied my trash can. I changed my security setting to only allow downloads from the App store. This time when I went of project free TV another random file was put into my downloads file but was not installed. This lead me to scan my macbook using Sophos and ClamXav. Sophos found no threats but a few issues, all of which I secure emptied from the trash can. These pop-ups only occurred when I visited the project free TV website so I stopped using it. The pop-ups appeared to have stopped until today when it happened again even though I didn't go on project free TV. 

I am not sure if my macbook is infected or if these are just random pop-ups. If they are random pop-ups I don't get why they keep downloading files onto my macbook. I originally posted this in the "Am I infected?" forum but was told to repost it here as it is a mac. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

I have never heard of winflashplayer.

1 -  Quit everything

2 - Select "Go" from top menu of Finder window

3 - Click on "Computer"

4 - Click on "Library"  (This is your Computer's library.  Do not click on System and go to the system library.)

5 - Navigate to "Internet Plugins"

6 - Open the folder and select, "winflashplayer."

7 - Go to Finder "File" menu.

8- Select "Move to trash"

9 - You will be prompted for your administrator password.

10 - Type in your password

11 - Empty your trash

12 - if the Mac will not let you empty the trash, simply restart the Mac and then empty the trash.

By the way, if you to not have Adobe Flash installed (which is safe), go to www.adobe.com and download it.

#3 Mya123

Mya123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

I followed the steps you listed above but there is no "winflashplayer" in the folder. There is a flash player plug in folder. And I have the adobe flash player so i'm not sure if it is that folder. 

#4 Mya123

Mya123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

I normally wouldn't be worried other then the fact that it downloaded folders automatically even though I set my preferences to only allow downloads from the App store and those I approve

#5 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

Mya123 -

Quit everything.

Click on the Finder icon on the left of your dock.

Click on the name of your computer.

In the search window, type:  winflashplayer

If you see it appear, click on it and move it to the trash from the File menu at the top of your screen.

Next click on the plus sign in the upper right part of the window.

Select from the pull down window:  system files  and press RETURN

If you see any other files with winflashplayer in them, click on them and move them to the trash

Next, click on the plus sign again and select "visibility"

Select visible and invisible files

If you see any winflashplayer files, click on them and move them to the trash

Close the finder window and empty the trash.

I hope this helps.

#6 Mya123

Mya123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

I followed the steps above but just put flash player and removed the files I found there. Not sure if it will help but hopefully it does. Thank you ! 

#7 tgdetjen

tgdetjen

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

When you restart your Mac, the pesky winflashplayer should be gone.  If you have an antivirus program, run a scan, too.  If you do not have one,  I suggest Sophos Antivirus for Mac.  It is free and I use it.  It can be found at:

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:37 AM

Try resetting Safari.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Safari-on-a-Macintosh-Running-Leopard-or-Snow-Leopard

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5043?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11914?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Download and install FlashPlayer straight from adobe's site.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

#9 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:39 AM

Sorry, double posted.

Edited by Buddyme2, 05 January 2014 - 02:39 AM.

#10 Mya123

Mya123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:22 AM

tgdetjen it stopped for now so hopefully it stays this way. Thank you for helping ! 

and buddyme2 I restarted it so hopefully that helps prevent it as well. Thank you ! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users