Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

has this happened to others, seems legit enough but weird

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

i tried to contact norton support on this but they are like waiting for a bucket full of protons to all decay    so i've posted here where i know people are happy to help for free whilst people employed to do so at norton do not. what follows is edited from a transcript i had with them, one for which i waited an hour to begin and then the transcript terminated itself...

on 03 jan/04jan very late in the evening(by UK time) i ran liveupdate on norton (2011 version i think) and hit a n error where a critical IPS update failed to install properly. i was directed by "one click support" to a (seemingly norton)site where i was given a file to download AutoDetectPkg.exe which then had me download NAVDownloader.exe which itself downloaded a few hundred megabytes. before i was told to restart when the new product was installing. after the restart my computer was extremely slow and the cursor somewhat unresponsive. the new product finally set up with a very different interface form the old one. the error given earlier was something along the lines of 8920,223 . it seems norton has now insatlled a different program the interface is severely altered anyway to a  more modern "fashionable" looking thing) is this normal or has the software been compromised.

have any of you had norton do this sort of thing recently or had such poor support experience from them? i was wondering if loads of other users of norton on xp had had this with a recent update?

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:03 AM

Hello -

I am not quite sure of your exact problem, except that you feel that Norton Forum had ignored you -

Is this Norton One Click Support anything like the one that you were "sent to" ?
A genuine One Click Support performs a Quick Scan of your computer and repairs problems without your intervention.

I would offer the advice that you "Google" Norton One Click Support and see if this is your idea -

Thank You -

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:01 AM

Does your new product look like this:

194495-nis-1_350.jpg

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Does your new product look like this:

194495-nis-1_350.jpg

no that is more or less what it looked like before

this

Norton-AntiVirus-2014-21-Final-Released-

is how it looks now

what "one click support" did was spend a minute or two doing something whilst displaying a "in progress circling ring" animation then show a button saying something along the lines of "error 8920,223  fix now" which opened up the download page for AutoDetectPkg.exe. upon running this i was then told to download NAVdownloader.exe which downloaded some sort of installer of around 200 Mb.

just a bit suspicious as to whether this should have happened, especially because upon restart for installation the machine was very slow and for a minute or two the cursor refused to move into the windows xp task bar at the bottom of the screen.

Edited by rp88, 04 January 2014 - 11:37 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users