Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

storing more favorites

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TempleCat

TempleCat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

I need to know how I can rearrange or delete certain things on my 8.1 to make room for more storage space in favorites.

Tired of it running slow after I save a certain amount of favorites, for playing musical instuments.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

Lets start from the beginning.  Are you talking about Metro, Favorites in a browser, favorite links on the desktop?  You need to be more specific about what you are actually inquiring as to what your problem is.

If it is Metro, and you are running 8.1, you can create folders and store as many metro tiles to your hearts content in those folders.  There are even third party programs out there, that allow you to do more with the Metro folders, then Microsoft has programmed into their OS.

So again, for your question regarding favorites, what exactly is it that you are having problems with.  Is it Metro, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, some other web browser, the favorites folder.

#3 TempleCat

TempleCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

I am using Google. Not Chrome,just Google. The Favorites I speak of my favorite sites on a desktop, I assume. The only Favorites I know of. Never heard of Metro. When I'm on the net, there are three options on the right top corner. House icon(home), Star(favorites, which is the one I am speaking of, and the spoked wheel(tools).

I need to be able to store more in this Favorites location, without bringing my browsing ability to a standstill.

Edited by TempleCat, 04 January 2014 - 01:23 AM.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

You can store as many favorites as you want on your browser, and it is not going to affect your browsing speed.  What does, is the amount of RAM, the speed of the machine, how many tabs you have open, what those tabs have running in them, is what will slow down your machine.

Metro is the main interface for Windows 8.  That nice little candy looking interface, that everyone so much hates.  Just for your information, I have 451 bookmarks, and never have any issues with Chrome.  Whether it is on my Nexus 7 32gb, on my iPhone 5 with 64gb, on Windows 8 on my son's laptop, or even right now in Xubuntu 12.04 in Chrome.

I think that there may be a little miss understanding in what you are calling favorites, and not the big picture of what you really are having issues with, which I doubt has anything to do with the number of favorites in your bookmarks.

#5 TempleCat

TempleCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

if that has no bearing on the speed of my laptop, why is it that when it slows way down, if I delete some of my favorites the computer speeds back up?

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

if that has no bearing on the speed of my laptop, why is it that when it slows way down, if I delete some of my favorites the computer speeds back up?

You have something else going on.  Again if they are just being stored on the Google servers, it has no effect on your computer.  Even if you had data stored on the hard drive, again it has no effect on the speed of your computer or OS, when you are doing something.

What does have an effect on the computer doing tasks, is the programs that are running, how much room is left on your hard drive, how much RAM is on your computer, the Read/Write speed and buffer for the hard drive.

I would start with a Disk Cleanup, then do a Defrag.  You can use something like WinDirStat, Tree Size, or Space Sniffer, which is probably my favorite in finding what folders are robbing drive space.

Run ADW also, to check for any problems that could be slowing you down, along with look at the extensions that you are using with your browser.

Now since you are running Windows 8, I will tell you up front that 8 is horribly bad about being a CPU hog, no matter what you do.  Only way to get around the problem with 8 being a hog, is to max out your RAM to almost 16gb.

I finally got tired of 8 being slow, and moved over to Xubuntu 12.04 LTS.  Everything I do, runs 10 times faster in Xubuntu, compared to Windows 8.

The last thing is go to http://www.testmy.net and see what your speed is showing, compared to what you are paying for.  If showing slow, start looking at the other issues of possible router or modem, or wireless card.  There can be a number of factors at play, why you are having this slowdown when browsing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users