Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Folders

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Coleen

Coleen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

Was confused with file folders when I switched to Vista a few years back, but it's been working for me. However, my computer wouldn't let me log in last week. The Dell tech created, copied, and moved user files and now I am really confused. I knew right where to go to find whatever I needed, but since he did this, I'm confused again. When I go to the C drive, I see six folders; Test, Default, Coleen, TEMP.Coleen-PC, Public, and Coleen.Coleen-PC. Plus I swear I saw another Coleen folder under Desktop. I am afraid to check them for duplicates and delete them, because he did something here to allow me to log in again and I don't want to mess it up.

If I were just searching for a file, I used to be able to click pictures on the Favorite Links and it would take me right to my pictures. Now, when I download pictures, they go to the Coleen PC folder and to find them, I have to go to the C drive, click on users, and then find that particular folder, because my Favorites defaults to just Coleen.

Is there something I need to know if I'm thinking of deleting all the duplicates? Or can I move these files somewhere else, so I only have one user file showing? Is it OK to have just one user file? Is one of these a hidden file that duplicates everything in my regular user file? I usually do not show hidden folders.

Thanks for any help you might provide to help me understand the folder structure in Vista. It made complete sense to me in XP.

Coleen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users