Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shortcut staff on USB thumb drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LinuxOS

LinuxOS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

Dear All,

I as a computer technician these days I'm getting USB thumb drives with a problem, and till today I'm not able to find a right method to fix this nature of damaged USB's. When i got any USB form any cumtomer they are telling me that they are not able to open any file, doc on their USB when i plug in these USB on my Lap i see that all staff on the USB become shortcut and also I'm not able to open any of them. In this case im doing scan using any antivirus and also Malwarebytes but nothing found I mean any virus but staff on the USB of my customers are still same un-usable. Please if any of you knows any good method to fix/repair without format USB this kind of problem please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

See if this fix works.

#3 LinuxOS

LinuxOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

Hi JohnC_21,

First of all thank you for your reply, yes i know this method and I'm using it, but sometimes this methos is not fixing all shorcut staff on customers USB's!! Please if you found any better tool for this kind of problem please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

This could be due to the virus on the client's computer and not just the USB drive or somehow the orginal files were deleted? I am not sure. Have you tried a file recovery utility like PhotoRec?

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 January 2014 - 08:32 AM.

#5 LinuxOS

LinuxOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Hi JohnC_21,

Thank you again for your reply, no i didn't try that tool that you mentioned yet, because for the moment i didn't get any USB for this problem to fix, but i will get this tool and i will use it in next fix when i got for any customer, and if it work i will post the solution. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users