Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on budget laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tesia16

tesia16

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

Hi there,
I am narrowing down my choices for a x-mas present from my Pops and need some help making up my mind. He is willing to spend around $350-$450, maybe $500. I know I can't get much, but I don't need too much at the time and plan on buying something nicer in 2-3 years.
Here are the specs I am looking for:
-15-15.6 inch
-Intel 3 gen processor (heard it was better then AMD's equal from multiple sources)
-4BG memory
-touchscreen
-Windows 8

Notice that my Lenovo option has a 4th gen processor. Sounds like a great deal, but I'm on the fence with Lenovo. Owned one about 5-7 years ago and it wasn't all that great. Crashed on me about 3 years into owning it and I invested a lot more in that particular computer. Should have lasted longer in my option. This was back when Lenovo was still part of IBM. I've heard they are putting out great stuff now and are a Chinese company now.... thoughts?
I'm open to other suggestions too. Heard Toshiba and Samsung migth be good too, just haven't found ones with the specs I want and in that price range.

Here is where I am at so far:

Lenovo® IdeaPad S510p Touch (59390911) Laptop Computer With 15.6" Touch-Screen Display & 4th Gen Intel® Core™ i3 Processor
from Office Max $449.99
http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...390911-Laptop/

Asus - 15" Touch-Screen Laptop - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Silver Aluminum
from Best Buy $399.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/15-touch...ptop&cp=1&lp=9

Thank you for any input you can provide!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

I would not downcheck Any brand that lasted 3 years, especially a laptop. They take a beating, And they all use the same brands of hard drives.

FWIW Disclaimer: I worked at a ASP for Toshiba and Lenovo. No longer of course.

I have a Toshiba Laptop and a Lenovo All-In-One (AIO) The Toshiba is old enough that it came with Vista Business and could be downgraded to XP Pro. Toshiba supported drivers became available for Windows 7 despite it being a discontinued  model. I still use it with Windows 7. I replaced the hard drive with a SSD for a nice performance boost.

I bought the Lenovo last year and upgraded it with a SSD too.

I also have a Acer that was new when Windows 7 was just released, Once again SSD upgrade.

Knock wood, no problems with all three. They still look like new too. How they are handled makes a bigger difference than brand in my Opinion.

Lenovo as far as I know was never part of IBM. They bought the Personal computer line from IBM.

My preference would be for the newer design. Not to mention that the Lenovo seems to have more memory too.

I suggest a good computer case as the first accessory you buy.

Lenovo has a large network of walk in service centers. Toshiba and Dell warranty services are OK too.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hi, i'd solely focus on the performance side of things, so the Lenovo wins without doubt due to its new and faster 4th Haswell i3 processor plus an extra 2GB making it a total of 6GB is a nice bonus and may come in handy.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 tesia16

tesia16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

Thank you for the information! I went with the Lenovo and so far, so good!

Roger, I think you raise good points about how computers are handled. I'm going to keep that in mind more often - thank you!

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Good Luck with Your purchase and Thank You for reporting back

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 Coco2014

Coco2014

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:24 AM

Depends that what are you going to do with this laptop. It's not necessary a high budget if you for ex. don't want to play any sofisticated game on it.

I like to play soccer games online and i'm using gta 5 cheats for Grand Theft Auto

#7 YusufAlizo

YusufAlizo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

Will this laptop be used for gaming at all? If not, then you shouldn't need to keep it at a high budget.

- Yusuf Alizo

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:20 PM

Just to let You know, The laptop was bought in January, see reply #4

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

Thank you for the information! I went with the Lenovo and so far, so good!

Roger, I think you raise good points about how computers are handled. I'm going to keep that in mind more often - thank you!

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,228 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Some may still be looking!

I have the first one in the list two years running now, both are sweet deals and should give the others a run for the $$. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Toshiba-C855-S5350-15-6-LED-Intel-B980-6GB-640GB-HD-/221157202461?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item337dff1a1d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TOSHIBA-SATELLITE-C855-S5194-15-6-i3-3120M-2-5GHz-8GB-1000GB-HDMI-OFFICE-07-/251277794418?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3a8152dc72

Edited by OldPhil, 26 February 2014 - 05:57 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users