Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro "pirate Copy" Error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kevb8ll

kevb8ll

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:16 PM

My last update included a software check apparently. It says my copy is a pirate copy when I know it isn't. Is there anyway I can remove this wretched update?
I don't do silly signature things - not since my Karma ran over my Dogma!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:38 PM

Yes - after you click "Authenticate Now" and enter the unique 25 digit key number of your Microsoft XP license it should validate or there should be a phone number for you to call Microsoft to validate your installation.

To do that you will need your unique 25 digit key number for the installation of XP on your computer which, if the computer was manufactured by one of the major brand manufacturers should be on a sticker on the case or in the documentation that came with the computer.

If it was a custom made computer it would be on the COA (certificate of authenticity) that came with the Windows installation cd.

It does not matter whether it was a retail or oem version used to install XP. If you built the computer yourself or bought one from a small assembler and it was an oem version it just takes a little more explanation, but it is still valid as long as the key number has not been used on any other computer as the Windows XP license is valid on one and only one computer.

If for any reason you do not have the key number you can download Keyfinder V.1.41 from Magicaljellybean.com which will give you the key number of the installation of XP on your computer.
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/

So will Everest Home if you have it.

A legitimate installation should have no problem validating. The authentication help desk will give you a series of numbers to type in when you try to authenticate which will validate the installation and remove the warning message.

You should do this before thirty days have transpired though, as Windows may shut down if you do not validate.

Edited by Enthusiast, 07 May 2006 - 06:47 PM.

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:39 PM

We are told to go to add remove to delete an update but i find that they are not all there. To delete the update you are talking about i did a search and deleted it. It goes to the recycle bin so if there is a problem you can always restore it.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

You can try that - there may have been a problem with the installer which has been recently updated (meaning you might be missing other critical updates), but all critical updates are necessary. You might uninstall the update and reinstall it.

Personally, I would call Microsoft at the number that will be provided on the popup when you try to authenticate.

Edited by Enthusiast, 07 May 2006 - 06:54 PM.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:04 PM

In Add/Remove Programs, you check the "Show Updates" box to see updates.

#6 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:08 PM

In Add/Remove Programs, you check the "Show Updates" box to see updates.

Thanks Herk. Obviously i was not aware of that option.

#7 kevb8ll

kevb8ll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:51 AM

We are told to go to add remove to delete an update but i find that they are not all there. To delete the update you are talking about i did a search and deleted it. It goes to the recycle bin so if there is a problem you can always restore it.

When I tried it said I can't uninstall that update!! :thumbsup:

I authenticated back in the summer and there wasn't a problem when I did it.

I can't get hold of the company I got my XP from either - one of the possibilities is it has been authenticated on other pcs.

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 11:52 AM

I can't get hold of the company I got my XP from either - one of the possibilities is it has been authenticated on other pcs.

If the above is true. Then I'm afraid that you may be out of luck, my friend.
Unless there is some legal avenues to consider.
I am not sure really. I wish I could be of more help.

BTW What is the company name which you purchased your copy
of XP? Just curious, and it may help protect others in the future.
If indeed they are running a shoddy business.
Posted Image

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:28 PM

I am told that if you do a System Restore to a week before you went to Windows Update it will negate the update for that verification, and you will have to turn off automatic windows updates and you can not go back there again.

You say, that you know that this is a valid key code you have. Actually there are a lot of people that have the same opinion, it is Microsoft that has a different one, and you have to be able to prove it to them. Several years ago we had a computer show here at our local fairgrounds and who shows up Microsoft and their good buddies from the FBI. I was there and had just walked on to the fairgrounds when they arrived and cleaned out the show of vendors. They were selling fake Microsoft items like the operating systems and such and to tell you the truth the boxes and all looked genuine.

Lots of people have fake key codes now and Microsoft knows all of them. If you have the receipt for yours I suggest calling Microsoft and discussing it with them. Worst case senario you will have to purchase a new key code.

Here is an article about the Genuine Advantage Program.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix...?referrer=email

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

Lots of people have fake key codes now and Microsoft knows all of them. If you have the receipt for yours I suggest calling Microsoft and discussing it with them. Worst case senario you will have to purchase a new key code.

I agree with this statement. This is a problem for Microsoft to deal with, we should not be talking about how to get around MS's validation process here in the forums. Even if this is a legit operating system, there may be hundreds of others who will read this thread in the future, not so sure if all of them are legit. Sorry, man, at the least you have to make a phone call, at the most you need to purchase a license from MS.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:23 PM

Before you do anything else, you need to call Microsoft.

Their policy is to offer free support if you have a problem after a critical update.

Just because you got the popup regarding the authentication does not mean it is valid - the update could have caused it to trigger.

Every update you installed since SP2 required validation, and the validation tool on your computer my just have become corrupted.

The first thing to do is call Microsoft Support:
Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

If they determine that you do indeed have an invalid, pirated copy go to the following website to see if you qualify for assistance from Microsoft:

Validation Failure: What if my Microsoft software is not genuine?
Get genuine: How can I take advantage of the Microsoft genuine Windows offer?

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx

#12 kevb8ll

kevb8ll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:35 PM

I went back to Microsoft and they issued me with a free replacement key.

Let's hear it for Microsoft!!!! :thumbsup:

#13 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

I went back to Microsoft and they issued me with a free replacement key.

Let's hear it for Microsoft!!!! :thumbsup:

Ummm... I'll give them credit that they helped you. But I won't praise them....
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users