Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB device not recognised

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 thebestrc

thebestrc

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Hi,

Fairly simple problem that i can't solve. I was playing FIFA 14 when my pc crashed. I restarted and plugged in my usb gamepad however a warning popped up saying USB device not recognised. Usually this resolved by unplugging the device and plugging it into another usb port. But this didn't work for me.  I also tried going to device manager and uninstalling everything under USB controllers and reinstalling as suggested on the windows website but to no avail it still won't work. I even bought a new usb gamepad and that comes up with the same problem when plugged in.

I know my usb ports work because i've tried other devices and usb sticks on every single port and they all work fine. The devices can't both be faulty can they? Especially the new one i just bought so what could be the problem?? Btw the gamepads i have are just generic ones. But that hasn't been a problem in the past. You just plug n play like many other usb devices.

lsUPesU.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Flexatek

Flexatek

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

What's the model/make of the gamepad? Have you tried installing drivers for the gamepad that (might) have came with it? Or looked at the ccompanies website for updated drivers?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

It may be a driver conflict between devices or the first USB gamepad driver became corrupted. Download USBDeview v2.28. Run it in an admin account and delete any gamepad that is shown as Vendor Specific. If that does not work then delete everything Vendor Specific except anything related to your network like a wireless adapter if it USB. Then reboot the computer and try plugging in the Gamepad.

usbdeview.gif

#4 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

The gamepads are generic from ebay they didn't come with drivers. They're just plug and play. They don't have a specific name brand on them.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

So under Vendor Specific of the Software there is nothing noted like Generic Game Pad or such?

#6 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Here's what it looks like in USBDeview:

HZcq6xo.jpg

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

I don't see anything there but I am not sure why you have two HID devices shown. One being a wireless mouse that is not connected. Is the gamepad wireless?

#8 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

No the gamepad is wired. I don't think it would show up there anyway as the device isn't being recognised. When USBDeview is open and i plug the usb gamepad in. It doesn't show up on the list of devices.

I think the other HID might be the wireless receiver?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

You are probably right. Connect the gamepad to the computer. Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? It may be under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

#10 Flexatek

Flexatek

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Can you post a link or picture of said gamepad? I just can't see it not having drivers, something doesn't add up.

#11 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Plugged in said gamepad here's what showed up in device manager:

iglHVkf.jpg

Here's what showed up in USBDeview (I clicked on show devices without drivers to show in order for the port the gamepad is plugged into showed up, In this case is Port #0001.Hub_#0003:

AYDJAQP.jpg

Photo of gamepad:

79COtYM.jpg

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Right click the unknown device, select properties and under the details tab, select Hardware ID's in the drop down box. Paste the results here.

#13 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

USB\UNKNOWN

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

Try this. Delete all unknown devices in usbdview shown in your post #11. unplug the gamepad. Reboot the computer and plug in the gamepad.

#15 thebestrc

thebestrc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

Try this. Delete all unknown devices in usbdview shown in your post #11. unplug the gamepad. Reboot the computer and plug in the gamepad.

All the unknown devices are only listed in usbdview when i select display devices without drivers option in view. When that option isn't selected the normal view is the pic in post #6.

Regardless i tried to uninstall them. Nothing happened. I suspect that is because of what i said in the previous sentence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users