Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Background Programs Running After Uninstals

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 John S28

John S28

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

I had many problems after a download of unwanted programs.  I removed them from being actively annoying.  At first I used the System Uninstall Page to uninstall them.  That did not work all that well, so I used AdwCleaner, FSS, HiJackThis, JRT, Malwarebytes (full scan), rkill, RogueKiller, SecurityCheck, and tdskiller.  I disabled active protection while running these.  That got them off from at least being active.  However, in my Notification Area I still have many unwanted programs running:

FSS.exe (show up twice)

ImageStudi Tray Application (not a security issue as far as I'm aware, but I don't need/want it)

HitmanPro_x64.exe (not used anymore)

AvastUI.exe (not used anymore)

AdvancedSystemProtector.exe (likely one of the original causes of the problems)

Quarantine.exe (possibly associated with Malwarebytes and to be kept)

OptProReminder.exe

RegCleanPro.exe

cltmngui.exe (might be fine)

I have done registry searches for some of these and have not been able to find them.  I have also done Task Searches for many of them.  I have run msconfig to try to find them as well.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

These probably can't do much anymore, but I'd like to see the non-essential ones removed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

If these are remnants of these programs and aren't causing any problems I would leave them alone.  They take up a minuscule amount of space, really not worth bothering with.

The one executable file you suggest might be fine is Cltmng.exe, this is part of Conduit.  Conduit is usually downloaded as third party software embedded in software you chose to download.

Third party software is bundled in downloads to generate extra revenue for the authour of the primary downloaded program.  If you do the Epress (recommended) installation the third party software will automatically be installed.  If you choose to use the Custom Installation (advanced) each of the third party software will usually appear one at a time with a check mark already added to install the software, you must remove the check mark if you do not want this software installed.

bundled_zps943899be.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

Just be aware that sometimes you'll get the software anyway. I am very careful now what sites I use to download anything.

Mod Edit:  Removed link to website and suggestion not relating to topic resolution - Hamluis..

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#4 John S28

John S28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Thank you for the links to safe downloads.  I thought I was using a safe download source, but I guess not.  I realize that these are only small remnants of the programs that are running, but they caused me a lot of headaches, and I'm not really sure of their abilities.  I would just like to see that they are not running and are truly removed.  Any thoughts on how to go about doing this would be greatly appreciated.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

How have they caused you a lot of headaches?

Are any of these causing problems?

The download sites probably are safe, it doesn't matter where you download these, you still need to watch for third party software.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 John S28

John S28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

The processor is reportedly running at high capacity while idle.  I would like the programs that are unneeded/wanted to not use any of it's capacity.  As I said, I am unsure of these programs abilities and whether it was the bundled software with them or not, I don't want them running.  By the way I rarely do anything but custom installs and these programs managed to get in.  Can you be of assistance in tracking down their sources, ending them and removing the associated files?

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:44 AM

If you're talking about "leftover" past items in the tray notification area this simple .bat file will clear unused items & set those still "active" back to default.

How to Reset the Notification Area Icons Cache in Vista, 7 & 8

If this is not what you're referring to my apologies...

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

@ Union_Thug

I believe what they are referring to are known as orphan files.

The following is quoted from Webopedia.

file that no longer has a purpose. For example, when youuninstall an application, a few files that make up the application, or were generated by the application, may remain on your hard disk. These are orphan files since they serve no purpose without the application. In general, you can delete orphan files, but you should make sure that they truly are orphans because some files, especially DLLs, may be used by more than one application.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

@ John S28,

I asked if these were causing you any problems, you didn't respond.

At this point I'm pretty sure that what you are concerned about are orphan files which has been addressed in the previous topic.  These files are not active, they don't do anything, and the space that they take up is minuscule.  Furthermore, these are not responsible for the high CPU usage.  We need to get past the orphan files and pursue the cause of the high CPU usage.

#10 John S28

John S28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Thank you for the link to the forum.  Oddly, after just checking the notification area again, all except the FSS.exe ARE GONE!  I did nothing that I'm aware of to change setting.  I did not run the .bat file (but thanks for the suggestion).  My guess is they are still there, and may run again, but for now......  I would like to take you up on your offer to pursue the cause for my high CPU usage.  Where to start?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

Open the Task Manager and click on the Performance tab.  

In the window that opens click on Resource Monitor.

Click on the CPU tab and find the Process which is using the most resources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users