Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More And More Problems Are Happening And Programs Are Missing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 05:33 PM

Hello All!!

I'm having several problems with my laptop which is a Sony Vaio PCG-FX150. Lately there seem to be more and more problems that keep occuring, and I figured it might be a smarter idea to list them all here rather than on several different threads since I'm beginning to think the problem might be with Windows XP or possibly my laptop. I don't know if tha's really the case or not, but hopefully listing everything will be helpful to whomever helps me resolve my laptop problems.

I've read Bleeping Computer's recommendation for getting help, and one of them was to give as much detail as possible. So, rather than not give enough detail, I'm going to give a lot. I'm going to start with the problems that happened with the switch from Windows ME, which was the OS my laptop came with, to Windows XP because I really want to get help resolving that issue too, and it might give a clue as to what's going on now.

As I said, when I bought my Sony Vaio, it came preinstalled with Windows ME and a whole bunch of other programs, like Microsoft Word and Adobe Photoshop. These programs were not on individual discs, which later caused one of my big problems. It came with 2 System Recovery CD's, 2 Application Recovery CD's, and a Driver Recovery CD.

So, I was having major computer problems to the point where I found myself talking to tech. support people almost everyday!! The conclusion was that my computer was corrupted, had viruses, was beyond help, and they said Windows ME sucked and suggested I buy Windows XP, and do, what I think they called, a clean install. They said that it was going to wipe everything off my computer, so if I wanted to keep anything, I had to buy an external hard drive. Up to this point, I had NEVER backed up anything, but I bought a Seagate Pocket Drive and saved everything I wanted to on there.

When I was ready to install Windows XP, I called Microsoft's Tech. Support number, and I then spent the entire night on the phone with someone who guided me through all the steps of doing the clean install. When Windows XP was installed, he helped me to reinstall the drivers for things like my scanner and printer, and he helped me to reinstall SBC Yahoo DSL, my 2wire wireless internet service, and AOL. Then we came to the MAJOR PROBLEM......one of the problems that I have yet to resolve and hope someone can help me with now.

Before buying Windows XP, I had explained to the guy at Fry's EXACTLY what kinds of problems I was having and what I was trying to do. I did the same thing with Microsoft's tech. support guy BEFORE we did anything. I told him the advice I had been given, too which was

1. save all files ,etc. on the external hard drive
2. do a clean install with Windows XP
3. install and check to be sure that my anti-virus programs are working so that when I eventually
put back anything that I had saved on the pocket drive, if it happened to be something that had
the virus, I would be protected.
4. install all the drivers

After the anti-virus stuff was loaded (McAfee), I was told that the final step .......and here's where the first problem happened.....would be to use the discs that had come with my computer when I originally bought it so that I could reinstall all my programs, minus Windows ME, of course. Well, I get to this point, and the Microsoft tech. support guy says, "Oooops!! I don't know how to get those programs back onto your laptop because the discs that have the programs on them also have Windows ME on them, and you can only have one operating system on your computer at a time." So, now I've been stuck with a laptop that has Windows XP on it, but NONE OF MY ORIGINAL PROGRAMS!!! I actually have had NO WORD PROCESSING because of this (until a few weeks ago when I found out about a free program I could download off the internet called "Abiword"). This situation has been pretty crappy, but I've had no clue how to fix it and nobody to help me.....until I found Bleeping Computer, that is. :thumbsup:

So, that explains HOW the problems started, what I did to try and resolve the problems, and what one of the new problems is (missing all my old programs). Now I'll explain the recent technical problems I've been having this week, except for this first problem which has been going on for longer than one week.

Problem One

When I turn my laptop on and all the programs are loading and the icons are appearing on the Desktop, this message appears on the screen:

WebWorks.exe-unable to locate component
(Red circle with white X in it) This application has failed to start because endec.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Problem Two

I'm also missing my Microsoft Paint program. I had been using it earlier in the day, and then later it was gone. People here have suggested the following three things to try, which I have tried without success:

1. C:\WINDOWS\system32\mspaint.exe
2. Try Start>Run>mspaint
3. Start/RUN & typed in sfc /scannow

I also did something else, but forget exactly what it was since I did it two nights ago while half asleep, lol!!! I put in my Windows XP CD with the intention of doing a repair install, but I'm not sure if that's what I wound up doing. I seem to remember that when I started to do it, a message came up that said I had to do something else first. I also know that the process took about two and half hours and that there was a message on the screen that I THINK said it was checking to make sure all of my Windows components were installed and working properly. The disc was in during this process.....not sure if it was supposed to be, but every few minutes or so, it would make the sound it makes when you first put it in and it's loading. Sorry I can't be more specific here, but regardless of what this process was that I did, MS Paint is still missing, and I'm still having all the same problems.

Something else a little weird is that a few minutes after everything is loaded onto my computer and the desktop icons are all on the screen, a little window pops up in the lower right corner near the little clock. It says something about indexing being complete and that I can begin searching. I don't know what this is about because I never used to have that message appear. I thought I'd mention it in case there is some significance to it.

Problem Three

I'm using Gmail, and I just tried to compose and send a new email, but after I clicked Send, I noticed a failure message in my inbox. Here is a copy of what it said:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

Username at some IP
Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550-nz-out-0102.google.com [64.233.162.201] is currently not permitted to relay
550-through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap server
550-in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on in your
550 email client

John asked if I was doing this online or not, and the answer is, yes, I was composing the email while online using the "Compose" option on my Gmail page.

Problem Four

I belong to at least ten, and probably closer to 15 or 20, Yahoo Groups, and I have the Group emails sent to one of my Gmail accounts. I'm still receiving all of my email, but today, when I tried to access the Group's Message Board, I got a message that said I don't belong to ANY Yahoo Groups! I tried using their Wizard that locates Groups, but it came up with zilch, too. I checked to make sure that I was signed into the correct Yahoo account, and I am.

The other weird thing that happened regarding the Yahoo Groups is that one of my Group emails had a link to one of her other Yahoo Groups. I clicked on the link because I wanted to join that Group, but I kept getting a message that told me I had to create a Yahoo name that I would be recognized by in the Group. I already HAVE a Yahoo name because I went through that process when I signed up for my very first Yahoo Group a long time ago. I tried entering that name in there, but I got a message that said that name was already taken. I thought maybe, for some reason, this Group wanted to have a different name or identity, so created another one, but that didn't work either. What happens is that after entering in a name and clicking okay, I get taken to the Yahoo email sign in screen to enter my password, and when I do, I get taken to the Yahoo Home Page. The process just keeps repeating.

John had me try signing into my Yahoo account as always and click on "More" at the top of the page and then click on "Groups." This is the message I got when doing that:

My Groups
(You are not currently a member of any Yahoo! Groups)
When you join or create a group they will automatically appear here when you are signed in to Yahoo!.
Receiving group email but your groups are not showing up here? Please visit our Membership Wizard.

As I mentioned above in the description of the problem, I already tried using the Membership Wizard. It didn't work. John also asked me if I had done a spyware check and anti-virus scan, which is what led to my noticing the next problem. Before I mention problem five, yes, I had just learned about HijackThis from Bleeping Computer, so I installed and ran that program. I also have Spybot, which, as is suggested here, I ran first. I also have McAffee anti-virus, which, if I'm not mistaken, updates and runs a check regularly.

Problem Five

I was just going to check and see that my McAfee anti-virus was still showing by the clock in the lower right corner of the screen, and I noticed an icon that looks like two computer screens with a red 'X' over them. When I clicked on it, the Network Connections window opens up. Here is what is on it:

Dial-Up
America Online
Disconnected, Firewalled
Direct Parallel

LAN or High-Speed Internet
Wireless Network Connection 2
Connected, Firewalled
2Wire 802. 11g Cardbus Wirel...

1394 Connection
Connected, Firewalled
1394 Net Adapter

Local Area Connection
Network cable unplugged Fire...
Intel® PRO/100 VE Network...

One of the problems I was going to ask for help with on this message was the speed of my screen changes and loading of desktop icons and programs. Now I'm wondering if any of the stuff I just listed above about Local Area Connections has anything to do with this problem. It takes a good five minutes, at least, for everything to load after I turn on my computer, and it takes a long time for screens to come up....even if it's not a webpage or internet surfing type of thing. What I mean is that even if I click on a program to open up, it takes a long time compared to when I first got DSL. Even when I click on one of the Clickable Smilies to the right of where I composed this message, it took about ten seconds for it to appear on the screen. I don't think that's normal. I've already talked to SBC Yahoo DSL Tech. Support and AOL Tech. Support, and neither had anything to offer.

Also, along these same lines, I've noticed that down at the bottom of the screen where the list of programs that are running and screens that are being used are listed, America Online is listed. Now the weird thing about it is that I AM using AOL, but it say, "America Online (Not...)" I'm assuming the rest of that sentence would be "responding," as in "America Online (Not Responding." I'm not sure if this is the case, but I thought it was strange. I opened up the Windows Task Manager, and it shows AOL is running, along with SBC Yahoo DSL and AbiWord, which I have open and minimized as I type this post.

Well, that's everything I can think of as far as problems I'm having and what I've tried to do to resolve them. I do want to point out one thing. At the beginning of this post, I mentioned that I had put everything I wanted to save before I did the clean install of Windows XP onto a Seagate Pocket Drive. I never did put any of that stuff back onto my computer, so if there was a virus on that got put onto that pocket drive, it didn't come from that stuff. Although, I have plugged it in to use some of the things that are on it, like tags I've saved, for example, but I never transferred them back onto my laptop.

One reason I didn't transfer any of that stuff back onto my laptop was because an online friend had asked me if my computer was making any loud noises. I explained that, yes, every once and awhile, there will be a very loud whirring type of noise (I don't know how else to describe it.). She said that the sound was probably a sign that one of my drivers was going to crash. I was afraid to put anything back onto my laptop that I had saved in case it DID crash. Is there any input on this and on what I should do to protect the stuff I have currently saved on my laptop and not the pocket drive? Also, if the pocket drive happened to be plugged in and a driver did crash, would I lose everything on the pocket drive, too? Do you find that pocket drives are safer or burning the info. to a disc is safer? I don't currently have a CD burner, but I'm thinking about investing in one. If this computer is going to crash soon, I would rather spend the money on a new laptop though.

One other thing that this same friend mentioned to me regarding the programs that came already installed on my laptop when I bought it is that they may not be compatible with Windows XP. She's talking about things like Microsoft Word, Adobe Photoshop, etc. How do I know if this is true, and would I really have to buy all NEW programs if they are no longer compatible? If so, it seems to me that it would have been cheaper to just buy a new laptop with all the new things already installed. Your thoughts on this?

Well, this time that really IS everything I can think of, LOL!! To make a sort of check list for whomever helps me with this, I'll make a simplified list of what I need help with.

1. How do I get my old programs that came installed on my laptop when I originally bought it reinstalled
when they are on the same discs as Windows ME and only one OS can be on a laptop at a time, and will
they be compatible? (Refer to Introduction above and last paragraph before this list.)

2. How do I fix whatever the problem is that caused the error message that appears on my screen when I
turn on my laptop or restart it? (Refer to Problem One above.)

3. How do I get MS Paint back? (Refer to Problem Two above.)

4. What is Indexing, and do I need it? If not, how do I get rid of it? (Refer to Problem Two above.)

5. How do I get rid of the failure message that appears in my Gmail Inbox after composing and sending a
new email? (Refer to Problem Three above.)

6. How do I resolve the problem of getting a message that says I don't belong to any Yahoo! Groups when
in reality I belong to at least ten of them? (Refer to Problem Four above.)

7. How do I resolve the problem with Yahoo! not accepting my ID name for Yahoo! Groups or letting me
access new Yahoo! Groups when creating a new ID? (Refer to Problem Four above.)

8. Are the Network Connection messages a problem? (Refer to Problem Five above.)

9. Why is the speed of my laptop so slow in reference to the loading of programs and desktop icons when it
is turned on or restarted, and in reference to surfing the web and loading pages when NOT online? (Refer
to Problem Five above.)

10. Why do I get a message at the very bottom of the screen that says, "America Online Not...) when in the
Windows Task Manager, it says it is running? Do I need to do anything to fix this, and if so, what do I
do? (Refer to Problem Five above.)

11. There were several questions regarding the loud whirring noise my laptop makes every once and
awhile. (Refer to the second to last paragraph before this list started for the questions.)

Well, I hope that I explained all of this in a way that is easy to follow and that the checklist above was also helpful. I know that there is a lot involved with these problems I'm having so I really tried to be as specific as possible. If you need any other information from me, please let me know, and I'll do my best to get it to you. Thanks so much to whomever tackles this!!! :flowers:

Take Care & Thank You!!
Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:47 PM

I hope I can help a little. I use few of the programs you do and have little experience with them. I shy away from such things as AOL and Yahoo! because I consider them no better than viruses. Not trying to insult, just a personal opinion. Yahoo regularly used to install something called Red Sheriff, which shows up as redclientapps in a hijackthis log, and it can slow a computer to a crawl. AOL is obvious bloatware trying to live down the reputation is the Click of Death that it had back at AOL 5.0.

I download my mail to my computer rather than using a client like Gmail, so can't help much there, but I'm wondering if you remembered to put in a sender when you sent the email? (Didn't think it would even send without a sender.)

As to WebWorks, that's an online accelerator program, another thing I have little faith in, having seen too many of them actually slow down the connection. The missing file endec.dll is necessary for it to run.

The bad news is this: when your laptop came with programs already installed, you probably paid to keep them. They usually don't give away a program with a new computer, they give you a free trial. When you paid for them, they became licensed and there were license keys involved. However, without being able to use the Restore CD's that came with the laptop, you cannot re-install the programs. You cannot back up a program and re-use it, it must be re-installed. I really hate to see you have to buy the programs again just to be able to re-install them, but then, I doubt I would have given you the advice to upgrade to XP, either. XP requires far more resources than ME and your laptop may not have them - particularly more memory. Although XP will run on perhaps 128 MB of RAM, it won't run well on much less than 512MB of RAM, especially since the advent of Service Pack 2. Problems with programs you have, like Paint, ceasing to function may be the result of insufficient memory. You could try doing a System Restore to a point back before you lost Paint.

The tech was probably right that you cannot restore the programs that came with ME. They were designed to reinstall to an ME system. It's not that Word or the other older versions of the programs won't work with XP, it's that they were designed to be installed with ME, with their temporary licensing agreements. I regularly use old versions of Word, Word Perfect, Quickbooks and many others on my XP box. But I bought boxed versions of the program, and the license keys are all written down and accessible when I need to reinstall them. Always the best way.

Since I don't know about the Yahoo! Groups, I have to wonder if you need to actually join the groups and then a cookie will be placed on your computer to remember it, or if the information is kept on the Yahoo site. I know that with Hotmail (which I would very seldom use), the information is kept on the site so that it will be there when you reinstall. Have you tried re-joining one of the groups to see if it then becomes one of yours permanently since the reinstall?

If you attempted to reinstall programs by simply copying them from Program Files on the other computer, they will not work. Things like AOL and all your other programs need to be reinstalled from scratch. While you were backing things up, you could have backed up (exported) your cookies and favorites and then imported them to the new software (Internet Explorer). Much of your online information would then have been saved.

For problem five - are you using a cardbus to connect to the internet? That would explain the active connection there.

If you create a new Yahoo! ID, there would be no reason for Yahoo! to recognize you or which groups you belonged to under a different ID. (No different than being a different person.)

The speed of the laptop loading programs is probably because of insufficient memory - to make up for it, Windows has to use the Page File (swap file) to move things onto a temporary hard drive space, and then retrieve them from there. Much slower than system memory.

For problem 2, Webworks will indeed have to be re-installed, or uninstalled since it's unnecessary.

To get paint back, try this.

The whirring noise sounds like it may be a failing fan - laptop fans tend to be a slightly different shape than desktop fans - more like a water wheel - and you may try blowing out the interior of the computer with canned air (not a mechanic's air compressor!) to remove dust and debris. There are vents somewhere, usually an exhaust port on the back of the computer and the intake can be another port or openings beneath the laptop. This fan is critical to the operation and survival of the laptop and if failing must be replaced.

I hope others will chime in on some of the areas where I'm weak.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:28 PM

1. How do I get my old programs that came installed on my laptop when I originally bought it reinstalled
when they are on the same discs as Windows ME and only one OS can be on a laptop at a time, and will
they be compatible? (Refer to Introduction above and last paragraph before this list.)

The restore disks are probably one for Windows ME and one for the programs you bought as optional equipment on the computer when you ordered it. The first disk is most likely the ME restore disk. The second is probably the programs. The third being drivers for your video adapter, sound adapter, etc.
Drivers do not make or cause any noise. They are software.

After your computer is completely booted up and running, place the second restore cd in the cd drive and explore it using Windows Explorer (which you will find in programs/accessories. Open the trees and look for the names of the programs you want to install. See if there are any .exe files in each particular program. If so, double click on them one at a time until you click on the installation executable file. If it's there the program will begin to install. What you saved to your removable drive is hopefully the data you created and stored with the programs and once you install the aps you can move the data back.

You may as well install the current version of America Online if you plan on using AOL. Get a free copy at a computer parts store or a store that sells computer magazines should have a disk and it should be free or included in a magazine. If all else fails, call AOL and I am sure they will be thrilled to send you one.

2. How do I fix whatever the problem is that caused the error message that appears on my screen when I
turn on my laptop or restart it? (Refer to Problem One above.)
The error message you posted looks like one from Gmail, not one generated by your computer. It basically says you aren't logged in to their imap server.

3. How do I get MS Paint back? (Refer to Problem Two above.)
MS Paint should have been installed as part of your XP installation. Click start/programs/accessories and you should see Paint there. Double click on it and it should open.
If you want a shortcut on your desktop for it right click and choose "create shortcut", then drag it from there to your desktop.

4. What is Indexing, and do I need it? If not, how do I get rid of it? (Refer to Problem Two above.)
Indexing is a service (unnecessary to you as you probably have limited resources) that uses resources you are already short on. Open Windows Explorer, highlight your "C" drive, right click on it, select "properties", and uncheck "Allow indexing service to access this disk for fast file searching".

5. How do I get rid of the failure message that appears in my Gmail Inbox after composing and sending a
new email? (Refer to Problem Three above.)
Gmail is completely seperate from your computer, and once you sign in is independent of your computer with the exception of how you have set your security settings on your browser. The default settings for IE should work fine with Gmail. You can also download and use Firefox for browsing (and Gmail) instead of IE, but IE must be retained and operable for Windows Updates and web based anti-malware scans that need Active X. If Gmail isn't working properly your Gmail sign on or settings within Gmail are incorrect.

6. How do I resolve the problem of getting a message that says I don't belong to any Yahoo! Groups when
in reality I belong to at least ten of them? (Refer to Problem Four above.)
Same answer as for Gmail. Yahoo is independent of your computer other than downloading the Yahoo bar if you choose to. You may need to adjust your security settings to be compatable with Yahoo's needs, but once you sign in, you are using Yahoo's web services, not your computers except that you use your browser to access Yahoo.

7. How do I resolve the problem with Yahoo! not accepting my ID name for Yahoo! Groups or letting me
access new Yahoo! Groups when creating a new ID? (Refer to Problem Four above.) -
See help at Yahoo - it is independent of your computer and it is Yahoo's settings that are the problem if any.

8. Are the Network Connection messages a problem? (Refer to Problem Five above.)
Have you set up your network connections with the network wizards in XP? If not, you need to do so. They can be accessed in the control panel. You must also make sure your firewall is allowing the network connection.

9. Why is the speed of my laptop so slow in reference to the loading of programs and desktop icons when it
is turned on or restarted, and in reference to surfing the web and loading pages when NOT online? (Refer
to Problem Five above.)
Four or five minutes is really not all that slow for completely booting XP, but your computer may have insufficient Ram and too slow a processor to work well with XP. You need at least 512 megs of Ram for XP to function well and your paging file must be set for at least 1 and 1/2 times the amount of Ram you have. You may need to set it to be larger if you have just minimal ram.

10. Why do I get a message at the very bottom of the screen that says, "America Online Not...) when in the
Windows Task Manager, it says it is running? Do I need to do anything to fix this, and if so, what do I
do? (Refer to Problem Five above.).
Redownload or reinstall the current version of AOL and adjust your firewall to allow it to operate properly.

11. There were several questions regarding the loud whirring noise my laptop makes every once and
awhile. (Refer to the second to last paragraph before this list started for the questions.)
Depending on what that noise is, it could be the hard drive, a fan, or even the cd drive. It is a hardware noise - not caused by a driver or any software. Whatever it is, loud noises are not a sign of good things happening.

Edited by Enthusiast, 07 May 2006 - 11:33 PM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 11:55 AM

If there were an award here at BC for the most informative and well written thread, then this would certainly be given it. Both the orginal post and the replies are all well-written and thought out; this is a standard to which all can repair.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 04:40 AM

Wow! Thanks for all the advice, and John, thanks for the compliment on my post!! :thumbsup: I have several other follow-up questions regarding some of the advice.

1. Regarding error message

I received two different answers for what I should do about the message that appears on my screen whenever I turn on my computer or restart it. I don't know whose advice to follow on that one. The message is:

WebWorks.exe-unable to locate component
(Red circle with white X in it) This application has failed to start because endec.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Enthusiast said, "The error message you posted looks like one from Gmail, not one generated by your computer. It basically says you aren't logged in to their imap server."

Herk said, "As to WebWorks, that's an online accelerator program, another thing I have little faith in, having seen too many of them actually slow down the connection. The missing file endec.dll is necessary for it to run."

If Enthusiast is correct, what are the steps I should follow to be logged into their imap server? I've never heard of it before and have been using Gmail for quite awhile now without any problems except for that one problem sending a message.

If Herk is correct, and if I don't need the online accelerator program, how can I get rid of it because I can't find it anywhere to remove it. How would that have even gotten on my laptop? I don't remember downloading it, and I had never heard of it before.

2. Regarding MS Paint:

I followed Herk's link to the directions for how to get this back on my computer, and it worked!! YAY!!! :flowers:

3. Regarding AOL and Yahoo!:

Herk's opinions of AOL and Yahoo! were not good. Here's what he said, "I shy away from such things as AOL and Yahoo! because I consider them no better than viruses. Not trying to insult, just a personal opinion. Yahoo regularly used to install something called Red Sheriff, which shows up as redclientapps in a hijackthis log, and it can slow a computer to a crawl. AOL is obvious bloatware trying to live down the reputation is the Click of Death that it had back at AOL 5.0."

I have never been happy with AOL, and the only reason I still use them is because I currently am sharing the internet connection with someone else who pays for AOL, along with Yahoo! which is our internet service provider for DSL (The computers are in two different rooms with one wall seperating them and a cord going through a hole in the wall to connect the two.). After hearing what Herk said about AOL being bloatware (I'm not sure what that is, but I'm sure it's not good, lol!!) I'm considering uninstalling it. If I do that, won't it free up a lot of space on my laptop?

I like using Gmail WAY better than AOL for my email account, and the only think I like about AOL is the way that their Favorites list works. So, I guess my question is which program do you find user-friendly for Favorites? I tried using Internet Explorer's, but I didn't particularly care for it. Which one do you use and like?

Herk mentioned the Red Sheriff and redclientapps showing up in a hijackthis log which can slow the computer to a crawl. I recently ran a hijackthis log (3-4 weeks ago, I think.), but should I run another one to check for this stuff? Is it still a problem, or does that not happen anymore?

I'm curious as to which Internet Providers for DSL that people here on BC use because it sounds like AOL and Yahoo! are not much recommended?

4. Regarding Indexing:

I was following Enthusiast's directions regarding how to turn off the Indexing since it's apparantly not useful or necessary, and so I could save resources, but a few minutes into the process, an error message came up. The message (which, stupid me forgot to copy down) was regarding my free word processing program called AbiWord 2.4. There was some problem with it, and no matter what I clicked on, nothing worked, so I finally hit cancel. At this point, I don't know if everything else that was supposed to happen actually happened, and I don't know why there was a problem with AbiWord or how to fix it.

5. Regarding problem with Gmail:

The problem I had with Gmail has only happened once, but just to make sure that everything is set up the way it should be, I would like to follow Enthusiast's advice where he said, "If Gmail isn't working properly your Gmail sign on or settings within Gmail are incorrect."

I don't know how to correct these if they are incorrect or how to verify that they are correct. What steps should I take for that?

He also said, "You can also download and use Firefox for browsing (and Gmail) instead of IE, but IE must be retained and operable for Windows Updates and web based anti-malware scans that need Active X."

What exactly is Firefox? I've heard it mentioned before, but I don't know what it is and what its benefits are.

6. Regarding message that says I don't belong to any Yahoo! Groups when I belong to at least ten.

Enthusiast said, "You may need to adjust your security settings to be compatable with Yahoo's needs, but once you sign in, you are using Yahoo's web services, not your computers except that you use your browser to access Yahoo."

I'm not sure how to adjust my security settings to be compatable with Yahoo's needs. What would those steps be?

Also, Herk mentioned something about Cookies, and maybe the problem had to do with the install of XP and Cookies, but the problem started to happen months after the install. What can cause something like this to suddenly stop working when it had been working just fine? Same question for things like MS Paint disappearing and most of the problems that suddenly started happening? I just want to see what I can do to prevent them from happening in the future.

7. Regarding problem with my Yahoo! name or identity.

The problem was:

I clicked on a link for a new Group which was in one of my other Yahoo! Groups because I wanted to join it. I kept getting a message that told me I had to create a Yahoo name that I would be recognized by in the Group. I already HAVE a Yahoo name because I went through that process when I signed up for my very first Yahoo Group a long time ago. I tried entering that name in there, but I got a message that said that name was already taken. I thought maybe, for some reason, this Group wanted to have a different name or identity, so created another one, but that didn't work either. What happens is that after entering in a name and clicking okay, I get taken to the Yahoo email sign in screen to enter my password, and when I do, I get taken to the Yahoo Home Page. The process just keeps repeating.

Enthusiast said, "See help at Yahoo - it is independent of your computer and it is Yahoo's settings that are the problem if any."

I actually already tried Yahoo Help, and I think I might have emailed them as well, but if I did, I never heard back from them.

Herk said, "If you create a new Yahoo! ID, there would be no reason for Yahoo! to recognize you or which groups you belonged to under a different ID. (No different than being a different person.)"

I only tried to create the new Yahoo! ID after nothing else would work just to see if I could join a new Group, but even trying to do that with a new Yahoo! ID, it didn't work.

8. Regarding the Network Connection messages

The messages said,

"Dial-Up
America Online
Disconnected, Firewalled
Direct Parallel

LAN or High-Speed Internet
Wireless Network Connection 2
Connected, Firewalled
2Wire 802. 11g Cardbus Wirel...

1394 Connection
Connected, Firewalled
1394 Net Adapter

Local Area Connection
Network cable unplugged Fire...
Intel® PRO/100 VE Network...

I'm particularly concerned with the Local Area Connection message. It says that something is unplugged, but all the cords are plugged into the back of the modem, the ones that go into the electrical outlet are plugged in, and there is only one that I can't see because it's behind my bed. Wouldn't my laptop not work at all if the Network cable were unplugged? Again, what causes this problem to suddenly occur?

Enthusiast asked, "Have you set up your network connections with the network wizards in XP? If not, you need to do so. They can be accessed in the control panel. You must also make sure your firewall is allowing the network connection."

The answer is that I did go through that process when I did the XP install, but I clicked on the Wizard and went through the process again. I'm not sure how to make sure my firewall is allowing the network connection. I think I know how to get to the place where I check, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for once I'm there.

Herk asked, "Are you using a cardbus to connect to the internet? That would explain the active connection there."

I'm wondering if he meant to say "inactive connection" since that's what the message was?

9. Ram and Processor

Enthusiast said, "Your computer may have insufficient Ram and too slow a processor to work well with XP. You need at least 512 megs of Ram for XP to function well and your paging file must be set for at least 1 and 1/2 times the amount of Ram you have. You may need to set it to be larger if you have just minimal ram."

Herk said, "The speed of the laptop loading programs is probably because of insufficient memory - to make up for it, Windows has to use the Page File (swap file) to move things onto a temporary hard drive space, and then retrieve them from there. Much slower than system memory."

How do I check how much RAM I have for XP? What is a paging file, and how do I get to it to set it?

10. Regarding message at the very bottom of the screen that says, "America Online Not...)

I get the above message, but in Windows Task Manager, it says it is running.

Enthusiast said, "Redownload or reinstall the current version of AOL and adjust your firewall to allow it to operate properly."

Again, AOL is working sometimes without that message, and it seems that even when the message is there, I can still use it. Anyway, how do I adjust my firewall to allow it operate properly?

11. Regarding how to install missing programs

Both Enthusiast and Herk gave different suggestions for how to get my old programs that came preinstalled on my laptop when I bought it, back onto my laptop now that I have XP installed. Actually, I believe Herk said it wasn't possible to put them back on, and Enthusiast gave some directions to follow. I just wanted to let you know that later on today I hope to try out Enthusiast's directions to see if they work. I'll let you know!!

12. Regarding loud noise

We all pretty much agree that the noise doesn't mean anything good. If it is the fan, how much does it typically cost to replace it? Is this something I can buy at Fry's, or is there someplace else that you recommend?

Well, those were all my follow-up questions. Again, I appreciate all of your well-thought out responses to my questions. I know that there were a lot of them, so thanks for taking the time to help me. I'll keep you posted on what's going on, k?

Take care!!
Michele

#6 MelEO

MelEO

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:15 AM

I know this is sooooo way after the fact, but I finally found a solution (crossing fingers) to the endec.dll missing file. I found it on another forum, where it was suggested to re-install the disc one gets with their SBC Yahoo dsl. (I knew this was not a gmail issue as one poster suggested as I use that, as well, but only started using gmail in November, and have had this annoying missing endec.dll for MANY months). I even had begun re-installing from disc once and an SBC tech "support" person said that would not fix it. I have had NUMEROUS issues with sbc in the past several months and had brought this up to tech support more than once and was told time and time again that the endec.dll had nothing to do with SBC DSL. In a way, that is true, it apparently has to do with the 2Wire program. So tonight, I pulled out the disc once again, re-installed and after two restarts, no missing file reported!

I have a couple of other issues I need to delve deeper into...but at least I can cross that one off the list. Just thought I'd share as this has been a pain in the behind for me all of this time....

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:26 AM

FWIW - generally I tell my customers with SBC/Yahoo issues to:
1) Uninstall it, and
2) Call up SBC and have them talk them through setting up a connection manually.

I've been doing this (and so have the rest of our techs) for several months and no one has come back to complain that it didn't work for them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Omega79

Omega79

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:03 PM

Ditto usasma.

That is from 2Wire via SBC. A much easier fix is just deselect the startup item in MSConfig, which I would pick over finishing the install, but I would prefer it not be on there at all.

#9 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:58 AM

WOW!! Thanks!! I don't care how long ago I posted those questions.....just getting an answer ANY time is GREAT!! So, THANK YOU!!! I'll test it out and hope it works for me as it has for you!!

Take Care,
Michele

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:33 AM

Please let us know if it works for you. Generally the customers (at work) don't come back and tell us if it works - so I'd like to hear about how it turned out for you!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users