Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp booting up problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 itter

itter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

HI

I have got a problem wit my tower pc. Everytime I turn it on it  beeps 5 times the shuts itself down.

I am running Windows XP. The processor is AMD Atholon 64 x2, a geforce 6100m-mv motherboard, a geforce 7600 GT graphics card, an echo gina soundcard, 2GB RAM.

I have taken the graphics, sound card, RAM out and replace the PSU with a new unit but it is still doing the same thing. If I unplug the USB power lead from the motherboard it does not beep, but also does not boot up.

I am a novice at fixing computers so if anyone could help at all that would be great.

Many thanks

Edited by hamluis, 03 January 2014 - 11:46 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

Hi,

Five beeps means there has been a processor error.  A damaged expansion card, the CPU, or the motherboard could be causing this.  Check that the CPU is properly seated.

#3 itter

itter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

Hi thanks for your reply.

I tried running it with nothing plugged into the board apart from the cpu and fan and the psu and it still makes the 5 beeps. I have checked the cpu and it appears to be seated ok. Could this mean that the cpu is faulty?

#4 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

It would suggest that it is either the cpu or a component on the motherboard itself that has gone faulty.

#5 goldfist

goldfist

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

Any capacitors with swolen tops and electrolyte leakage? I had a HP Business Class System fail with a similar time period Athlon 64 x2 4450B CPU and the capacitors were swolen and/or leaking. More info here: http://www.badcaps.net/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users