Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Speed Severely Deteriorated

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:34 PM

Hello,

I need to pick your brains as I'm having a problem with download speeds, and don't quite know the best way to troubleshoot this issue.

I run Win XP Home, SP2, with 56kb dial up. My email client is Thunderbird and I browse with Firefox. Until sometime in the last couple of months, my normal download speed would average around 7kbps. Now, I'm lucky if I can get 2.7! What do you suppose is up with that? My connection speed, according to my ISP is 49.2kbps, and that seems consistent. Any download, software, updates, etc all see to run around this 2.7.

A couple of months ago, I started up with a new ISP. This ISP employs the use of a filter called "Netsweeper". The ISP insured me that this filter would NOT affect my surfing speeds, and it hasn't. I also use their Accelleration software, and that works very well.

The only other change I can think of, is that I have been using a 30 trial of AVG software. During that time both download speed and sending of mail speed decreased dramatically, especially when sending photos! I now have since purchased my AVG software, no change.

Could this possibly be related to my local phone service provider? If so, my connection speed would have deteriorated also tho, right? Sure appreciate anyone's insight into this one. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:31 PM

I think this might be caused by AVG's real-time monitoring and filtering; however, I don't know if it would affect the speed by that much.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 Eagle7

Eagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 04:49 PM

Thanks Elandil,

I was supposing those two items to have some effect, but.. If they are responsible, guess I'd rather be slow and safe than the alternative. Can't be too careful these days. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:28 PM

There are several points covered in this post,Slow Computer Checklist, by Moderator jgweed ... have a look

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44693/slow-computer/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users