Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

password saver

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 busygal

busygal

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

ok i download a free product called lasspass it saves your pass word so you dont have to remember them.it got my on line banking pass word all messed up and i had to delet it from my computer and call the bank to get back on line. does any one have a good free site that is much easyer to remember your pass words.

i have for years made a spreadsheet but it is turning into a mess with all the changes.help rz

Edited by hamluis, 04 January 2014 - 08:20 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

Sorry, but LastPass is what I use and recommend.  While it isn't perfect, it handles almost everything I throw at it.

As far as having an issue with a password, no matter what password solution you use, you need to verify that the password is correct after creating.  Normally what I will do is log out and log back in with LastPass to verify that it has the correct password.

I'd recommend not ditching LastPass over this issue.  There are a lot of advantages LastPass has:  LastPass can't give up your passwords, the ability to generate passwords to your specifications, premium version ($1 a month) allows access across devices, two factor authentication (requires premium), and much more.

If you want to learn more about LastPass take a listen, or read, Security Now! - Episode 256 - LastPass

#3 Mutch

Mutch

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

I use Keepass....  http://keepass.info/

I have it installed on 4 computers....but I keep the data file in Dropbox...and I keep a copy on a flash drive...

This way the password data is synced on all the computers....

And to keep the copy on my flash drive current I copy the data from Dropbox to the flashdrive about once a month or so...

the data is kept ONLY on the flash drive and in Dropbox...there is NO password data stored in the computer...

I keep all kinds of info in it...not only passwords, but my kids  SS #'s, birthdays etc...

It will automatically generate passwords when you create a new entry.,...you can specify the length and complexity of the passwords...

And it has  space for "notes" that you can keep on each site you use it for such as....mothers maiden name, name of first pet etc....

Keepass does NOT keep any info....I completely control what data is kept where....

If you want...you can use only a flash drive and NO info sits in any computer...

Gawd...I sound like a salesman for them....but not...just a happy user...

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

I use Password Safe. In fact, I use the portable version here so I can carry it on a flash drive. Another excellent Password Manager is KeePass Password Safe.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

I also have been using LastPass for years with no issues. If you open you Password Vault you can click edit by any iste and click show password so you can copy and paste it if the add-on isn't entering it correctly.

#6 SteveOC

SteveOC

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

Interesting - years ago I used Passkeeper but that hasn't been updated and has obviously been superceded.

I see 3 recommendations on this thread - more if you count free/paid versions of the same software separately.

Is anybody able to do a comparison of the 3 like they do in the magazine Test Labs, or is there a list of 'must have' features/functions for this category of software and do all 3 cover all of these?

Come to think of it, maybe there is a write-up somewhere if this has already been covered - I'll have a Google.

I guess what I am trying to determine are the risks involved in storing my passwords using this software.

Steve O.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:04 AM

Best Password Managers: Top 4 Reviewed
Review: 7 password managers for Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, and Android

#8 busygal

busygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

my problem with lastpass was my bank account and my spouces bank account at the same banks so when i got on line there it loged in with his pass word and i couldnt get to mine so i had to call the bank after i stoped the lastpass from running and get a new pass word.

any hints on that one.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

Were you logged onto the computer with a different user account or the same one as your spouse?

With different user accounts, there should be different user profiles created if using a browser like Firefox.

#10 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:56 PM

Yes, there should be a banner saying something to the nature of Auto login. You can click the down arrow and choose which account to log into.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

I use lastpass as well with a yubikey, it stores my work logins for networks and my browser passwords. Sites with multiple logins will show a number next to the lastpass emblem. The yubikey also works for Windows logon, vpn connections and several other applications.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 04 January 2014 - 11:32 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 busygal

busygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:15 AM

Thank you every one for your help i will try last pass again wish me luck

#13 busygal

busygal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

Were you logged onto the computer with a different user account or the same one as your spouse?

With different user accounts, there should be different user profiles created if using a browser like Firefox.

i am the one logging in he is not good with computer things.i will try to use a different account log in for his.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users