Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have A Huge Prob With My Download Speed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 samuraileon

samuraileon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

Hello, my problem is that when I start downloading something the file start at 1000kbps but always goes down to like 23kbps... I'm using cable modem the browsing speed is from 170k-185k. I am using mozilla firefox :thumbsup: the browsing is awesome but download still goes down to 23kbps, can someone help or tell me if the problem can be fixed and how, please im trying to download some movies and music and can't wait so long lol
Really apreciated
Carlos(Samuraileon) :flowers:

Edited by samuraileon, 07 May 2006 - 04:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:38 PM

Hey Carlos,

I just posted a very similar question! I'm on dial up though, but still my normal 7+ kbps has deteriorated to 2.7 or so. I use Firefox, too. Do you use Thunderbird email? If so, have you noticed any drops in your outgoing mail speeds? Especially with photos. Wonder if our problems are connected or not? Hmm. It'll be interesting to see what the folks around here come up with. Best of luck to ya.

#3 samuraileon

samuraileon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

At the moment i don't have thunderbird email but probably get :thumbsup: thx for posting :flowers: hope we get our problems fixed also :trumpet:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:13 PM

Depending on the source of your downloads, the problem may not be with your computer or internet connexion, but caused by the source servers, especially with large file downloads from relatively busy sites.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 08 May 2006 - 12:16 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:35 PM

Broadband comes in a lot of flavors. The 23K download speed I would guess means you have one of the lower speed connections---either 256 or 512. When you saw the meter showing 1000k and then dropping to in the 20s it is just adjusting to right speed--you were never downloading at the higher speed. Having used dialup in the past I would expect the 2 to 4k download speed and would have been tickled pink to see a 7k speed.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the insight. It's nice to have an idea of what's "normal".

#7 samuraileon

samuraileon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:29 PM

:thumbsup: Thanks for the info :flowers: really apreciated well i guess ill have to download from another pc and transfer to mine thanks.
Samuraileon(Carlos)

#8 artkaye

artkaye

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:58 PM

Buddy215,

You hit the nail right on. I use a GPRS connection and I get an average 4kbps, though sometimes it flashes to 20kbps. When I get 6 or 7 kbps I am elated because my download speeds up. My problem is an unstable connection so I use a download manager to resume down load as I reconnect now and then.

I think some times we have to learn to live with the peculiar quirks of the systems we use.

Happy browsing to all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users