Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot enter safe mode due to Cyberlink PowerReacover driver failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Photophonic

Photophonic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have the following problem.

After undertaking what I believe was a Windows 7 Update, when I tried to login to my computer this morning I got this message "The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." 

So after searching for solutions (using a different PC) I found that Microsoft recommended that I load the computer in Safe Mode and follow some instructions to fix the problem.

However when I tried to enter Safe Mode I get a pop-up message from 'Cyberlink PowerRecover' which states "Driver Initialization failed. Please reinstall the application."

If I click OK then the computer just restarts!!

What can I do??

My PC is a Medion Akoya P4011 running Windows 7 Home.

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

You might attempt to boot into the recovery console and then attempt a system restore.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-get-to-the-recovery-console-in-windows.navId-323028.html

#3 Photophonic

Photophonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:00 AM

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I read through the instructions you posted on that link, and it was more or less exactly the same as the solution I stumbled across myself!

I managed to get the computer working again later that day by booting up the PC with the recovery disk inserted.

I didn't want to wipe out the files on my computer, so after loading the recovery disk I just clicked cancel (i.e. without choosing any of the options available) because I wasn't sure what I was doing...however when I then restarted the PC for some reason it now allowed me to load up successfully in Safe Mode!

I followed the instructions from Microsoft on how to modify the registry to solve the 'User Profile' problem, restarted the PC and now everything is working fine.

My only concern now is that windows still wants to do an update. The 'Shut Down' button on the start menu has an update icon alongside it, which means that if I shut down the computer it will automatically install the update. I'm worried this will be the same update that caused all the problems in the first place?!

Is there a way of cancelling this update? (I haven't shut down my computer since Friday just in case!!)

Thanks

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:35 AM

You can stop the windows update service and set it to disabled,through services.msc and then open an elevated command prompt and type or copy and paste the content of the code box below.

del c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution

Then reboot the machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users