Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Incident with Websites Not Displaying -- Possibly Larger Issue?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Vvardenfall

Vvardenfall

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

Hi,

I used this forum a couple years back when having some questions about my PC when I had some issues, and got some great responses. I recently had an incident that may/may not be a security issue of some kind or may be something else entirely. I was puzzled by the whole thing, and was wondering if anyone might be able to clear up what happened.

To begin, the devices I was using were a: iPad (Safari) and iMac (Chrome)

And the Internet was done with: Ethernet cable from the wall port going to a Linksys Router, and another Ethernet cable hooking that router directly to the iMac. The iPad is getting internet from the wifi.

Anyways, I was browsing the internet as normal on my iPad and attempted to get onto a site (in this case, "gamefaqs.com) but I was only able to load the title in the tab at the top, and no images or information from the page itself. I decided that it might just be that the site was down, and decided to brush it off.

Minutes later, through reddit I clicked a link that led to another site ("deviantart.com") and got the exact same response in my browser. It seemed odd, and after checking isitdownrightnow.com, neither site seemed down. I subsequently tried, and was successfully able to access both sites via my phone, while my iPad could not.

I assumed that the problem of course is with my iPad! and went to my iMac to try the same sites. I had the exact same issue with those specific sites, and with the site I had set for my homepage (nbcnews.com). The odd thing however was that there seemed no logical pattern to what sites were and were not working for me. YouTube , Reddit, and The New York Times all opened fine across the board, yet specific sites would not load. I was getting no redirection from Google searches, and after flushing the DNS cache on my Mac, I still saw no changes.

Having other things to attend to, I let the issue lie and came back about twenty minutes later and did a check up on the various sites. All the ones I had problems with no loaded fine, and I could find no issue with them. I'm still concerned with the fact that something or for some reason I believe that specific websites were seemingly being blocked while the rest were fine.

I've tried to relay the situation with the best detail I could, and if anyone happens to read over it and has an answer or explanation for what may have happened, I would be very thankful.

Thanks again,

Vincent

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users