Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confused about laptop adapter types

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Alliecat

Alliecat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:18 AM

Hi, I'm a little confused about the different adapters available.  I'm looking for the adapter & power cord for a Dell Latitude D-610.  The model # is PA-1900-02D, & the Dell part # is 9T215.  I can't find it on Dell's parts website but do have a chat log from their help dept. from some time ago, with a pretty ridiculous price quote.  Now that I really need a new one, I was looking around on eBay to see what was available, & am confused by the ton of adapters, all of which are claimed to fit the D610, but have different numbers & wattages.

For example mine is 90W, output 4.62A... but I see some 65W ones supposedly also compatible.  What's the difference?  Some have different amperages too.

Then, this one clearly says "PA-10 family" but I see some PA-9 & PA-12s which also list the D610 as compatible.  Again, what's the difference?

Then, there are the generic replacement adapters of which I'm a little leery.

How much does that "DP/N" number matter?

I do not want to mess up my Precious with the wrong adapter.  I think I see the one I need, although from the seller's feedback they appear to be buying & reselling from somewhere.  All the right numbers are in the description though.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!

Edited by Alliecat, 03 January 2014 - 01:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

If yours is from the PA10 family Id stick with that.

#3 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

Hm... like the eBay seller who recommended Google when I asked for the model number...

Wattage? 65 vs. 90?  Model number differences?

Anyone...?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 01:39 AM

I think you would need to match the output voltages... 18, 18.5, 19 volts only.

Tekken

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:10 PM

Normally on a Dell laptop You would look at the bottom of the laptop. There will be a label there that will say what AC Adapters will work. An example would be that it may say PA-10 or PA-12 Family or it may just say PA-10 family. Be sure to use the matching Family of adapters. They define voltage, Current rating, and the DC jack size and style.

The lower wattage Adapters even if they work may be slower to recharge the battery.

It is also possible that using a Non Dell AC adapter will result in a warning message that computer performance may be reduced or that the battery may not charge properly. I have seen where a cheap eBay adapter would not charge the battery. Plugging the real Dell Adapter did charge the battery. So be sure to buy where You can return it easily.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for the answers, Roger; that helps a lot. :)

I'd been looking at the adapter & only just saw that label on the bottom of the laptop this evening.  It does say both PA10 and 12.  I was leery of the generic adapters too, and have been looking only for 'real' Dell ones.  And I could not previously find an explanation of what the effects of a 65W adapter would be.  

There are some 'genuine Dell' ones I've seen, where all the numbers on the back are the same as mine, except there is no wattage I can see.

Here's an example.  Everything else is the same but in the top left corner in front of 'AC adapter' where there's Chinese in brackets, mine says 90W.  With no wattage shown on this one (?) is is safe to assume it's really a 90W if the output voltage & amperage are the same?

2013-12-19_03_39_53.jpg

#7 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

I work at a laptop shop, and on a regular basis we supplement PA-10 adapters with PA-12 adapters and vice versa.  As Rotor said, the worst you would see is a message about a different voltage rating than what your laptop requires, but will power the machine and should charge the battery without a problem.

Even CQ60 adapters for HP laptops will work with your computer without a problem.  The difference in Voltage / Wattage / Amperage is negligable from what I've seen in the past 10 years working with Dell D-600, D-610, and D-620 laptops.

I will however advise against buying a reproduction adapter.  They only tend to last about 6 months or so, and over heat, causing warpage in the outer shell of the adapter before dying.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hi, If the Current and Voltage are the same then the wattage is the same.

As shown by typing 19.5 x 4.62 into Google and hitting search. I wonder how many do not know that Google search can do simple math?

calculator-40.gif   19.5 x 4.62 = 90.09

Watts are equal to Volts times Current

The other thing You may not have noticed is that Your AC Adapter is Lite-On made.

I Agree with Trakeen cheap copies may not work well or be durable. When I was working we used to stock the Real Dell, Toshiba, Sony, etc. AC adapters. I sold more than one Dell adapter to someone with a Non Dell that would not charge the battery. Plugged in the Dell and it would start to charge. Sold!

When You look at the Plug on the Dell Adapter there are three connectors. The Outside Shell, The Inside shell and the thin pin in the center. That thin pin is what tells the laptop genuine Dell and what wattage.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 January 2014 - 11:43 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

The local computer fixit guy only had aftermarket ones, which he said he'd had "good results" with, but they were more expensive than the genuine Dell ones on eBay. I went to eBay.

Thanks for the help, guys.  Appreciated!  :)

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Good Luck and Thank You for letting us know.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:38 PM

Guys, I still need some help.

In spite of matching model and part numbers, voltage and amperage, and various assurances that that should be enough and that any Dell adapter should work as long as these numbers matched... my laptop does not recognize the new adapter.  
Starting up, I get a warning that the "adapter type cannot be determined" and inviting me to run the "setup utility" -- which doesn't let me set anything up.  If I ignore the warning, I can get it running.  It says my battery is at 100%, even though it is not.  
If I start up on battery, it is shown depleted at a value I'd expect.  If I then plug in the adapter, I get another warning from Quickset that the power type cannot be determined.  The battery does not charge, even when the computer is off.
Here are some of the error messages and a scan of the new adapter vs. mine, 'old', with the only difference indicated.

Does anyone know if there's a way to get the computer to recognize this adapter?

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

Normally You see this problem with a Non Dell AC adapter.

The fact that You are seeing it indicates that either You have a defective from new AC Adapter or the circuitry in the laptop that uses the center pin to tell what type of adapter You have is damaged.

The Power travels on the outside of the shell of the plug and the inside of that shell.  The Center pin is not power carrying, It is used by the adapter to tell the laptop what adapter it is. IE, 65watt, 90 watt etc.

So either the Adapter is new but defective or the problem lies in the laptop. Are You sure that is a real Dell adapter and not a counterfeit adapter?

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#13 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

looks like you may have a bad power jack on the motherboard. 

#14 Alliecat

Alliecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:17 AM

Normally You see this problem with a Non Dell AC adapter.

The fact that You are seeing it indicates that either You have a defective from new AC Adapter or the circuitry in the laptop that uses the center pin to tell what type of adapter You have is damaged.

....Are You sure that is a real Dell adapter and not a counterfeit adapter?

Roger

Well, it looks like a pretty good counterfeit, if that's what it is...?  Can you tell from the photo?  How would you know?

looks like you may have a bad power jack on the motherboard. 

If that were the case wouldn't it have trouble recognizing any adapter?  When I plug the old adapter in, it behaves just fine.  I've never had any error messages or problems with the old adapter.  Other than that the wire is wearing out, which is why I'm looking for a new one.

Edited by Alliecat, 22 January 2014 - 12:18 AM.

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

I’d say you have plenty of good reason to return it

Check out

http://www.laptoptown.com/195v-462a-90w-laptop-ac-adapter-for-dell-latitude-d610-p-2435.html

It’s new and it’s 90W. It does have only a 90 day warrranty.

You can order one through Amazon by Sunvalleytech

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Adapter-Charger-PA-1900-02D-Electronics/dp/B002BKAYCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390373886&sr=8-1&keywords=pa+1900+02d

It doesn’t show the wattage but go by Rogers calculation to ensure the unit you order is 90 W. This one has a full year warranty

Sunvalleytech information

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/details/ref=aag_m_ss?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=1&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&seller=A2KUZVNQ9LP7N9#aag_legalInfo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users