Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to change network password in Windows 8.1?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

I am using a borrowed laptop to make this posting. I cannot access the Internet from my brand new desktop computer running Windows 8.1. Here is the full story. I share my daughter's wireless home network to access the Internet. (She lives upstairs, right above us.) Last night, for some reason, she changed the password of her secured (password protected) network. This morning, when I tried to connect to the Internet using my desktop running Windows 8.1, I got an error message basically saying "Cannot connect to the Internet.....Your network configuration has changed." When I asked my daughter about it she said she had changed the password of her network and GAVE ME THE NEW PASSWORD. Now I have been trying for hours trying to figure out how to change the password in my PC's network configuration so that I can automatically connect to the Internet like before. Unfortunately, no luck. My daughter uses Mac computers. She does not know how to change it in Windows. So borrowing her Mac I Googled. The best article  I found was this one:

http://www.7tutorials.com/view-change-password-wireless-network-windows-8-81

I came close, but the last and final step described in the above article does not match Windows 8.1 (may be it is so in Windows 8). I could not find the Security tab or anything where I can view and change the password for the network.

Somebody please help quickly. I have to access the Internet ASAP. A lot of work needs to done.

Thanks in advance. Again, your instructions has to be for Windows 8.1.

~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

If you are talking about the Wireless connection, but she kept the same SSID, it should be asking you for the new passphrase, when it fails.  If it doesn't, you can go to the Network Adapter, as stated in that tutorial and change it.  Otherwise you can uninstall the Wireless adapter, which will flush the Security key and all settings, then reinstall again, and you should be good to go.

It will number the adapter one number higher, but that does not matter.  You can also remove the key, by following this guide.  http://superuser.com/questions/148139/where-does-vista-windows-7-store-wireless-connection-information  Only thing kept in the registry, is the network connection info, not the keys anymore.  The keys in that file are encrypted, so it is not plaintext.

#3 Shoban Sen

Shoban Sen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

Thanks Greg62702. Actually, I successfully changed the network (SSID) password this morning even before I read your reply. And I think my method was easier than what you suggested. I followed the instructions of this tutorial:

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-delete-forget-wireless-network-profiles-windows-81

From the above tutorial, I followed the method described under "How to Forget a Wireless Network in Windows 8.1 - The Visual Way". It was a piece of cake! While I was exploring all by myself before, I came to that step earlier but did not understand what "Forget network" meant. So I did not click on that option thinking I might screw up the thing further. Why Microsoft did not use the words "Delete network" and why didn't they place that link against the name of every network within range??? After deleting, I chose to join the same network again. I was asked to enter the password for the network. Now I entered the NEW PASSWORD and boom! I was instantly connected to the Internet.

I have to admit Mac makes things much easier for the users!!!

~Shoban Sen~
I am always learning ...

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

As long as you do it from the Desktop, it is easy.  Try and do it from Metro, it is a PITA.  Good to hear that things went right.  You should if the network is shared a lot, change the Passphrase on a regular basis.  I use a Hex type key of eight characters, on the two AP's I personally own.  The U-Verse Gateway, I just left it set at out of the box from ATT, and only use it for three devices only.  One needs Wireless B, the other two Wireless G.

It does get fun when you have to manage a small business network, that 98% of the units use wireless, when the network is in your own home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users